How to tell if your mead is real (Info inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
http://www.wikihow.com/Verify-the-Purity-of-Honey

When I go to my LHBS I know the honey is real because at the bottom of the bag is usually a bit of honey comb left over - not something artificial honey will give you.

But, when buying in large quantities and from bigger companies - these tests will help verify if what you've bought is honey!

http://www.wikihow.com/Verify-the-Purity-of-Honey

When I go to my LHBS I know the honey is real because at the bottom of the bag is usually a bit of honey comb left over - not something artificial honey will give you.

But, when buying in large quantities and from bigger companies - these tests will help verify if what you've bought is honey!
This was posted elsewhere too, but there's much they don't allude to where there's real, science based evidence around, that explains why it's so hard to tell the difference. Many professional labs have difficulty, depending on how the honey has been processed before sale, as some or all of the identification markers have been removed etc.

So why some wiki based website, while trying to be helpful, could conclude that it's testing suggestions are "cast iron", is beyond me.

At most, they might give you some idea, but how believable that is, I don't know.

The only real way, would be to use locally sourced, raw honey directly from the bee keeper/apiary, but of course, that rules out varietals doesn't it.

Even packaging markers like "Product of XXXXX" are easily faked......

:smack::confused:

Not sure that some bits of wax and bee parts mean "real honey" and "fake honey". I'd say it's more a measure of filtered or unfiltered. The level of filtering and post processing (over filtering stripping flavors, cutting with con syrup to cut prices etc.) is the real issue here.

Not sure that some bits of wax and bee parts mean "real honey" and "fake honey". I'd say it's more a measure of filtered or unfiltered. The level of filtering and post processing (over filtering stripping flavors, cutting with con syrup to cut prices etc.) is the real issue here.

That is a point, but still, the inclusion of wax or comb would be a better bet of real honey than fake or cut.

Plus relying on Wiki as factual is BS, you realize anyone can change the information.

That's no really a statistically valid fear or concern. Wiki is a great resource for nearly everything except for highly contested things such as religion, politics, and current famous persons.

That is a point, but still, the inclusion of wax or comb would be a better bet of real honey than fake or cut.

It also means you're planning on having to use finings, which can strip your final product of [some] color and flavor. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use fully raw honey (I have, and it makes a good mead), but I'm also saying that using quality honey despite it having been [not excessively] filtered will also make good mead.

Just playing Devil's advocate here. What if companies were to take their fake honey and add real honey comb to it?

It also means you're planning on having to use finings, which can strip your final product of [some] color and flavor. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use fully raw honey (I have, and it makes a good mead), but I'm also saying that using quality honey despite it having been [not excessively] filtered will also make good mead.

Just playing Devil's advocate here. What if companies were to take their fake honey and add real honey comb to it?

they could, it would probably end up costing them a lot, so I doubt they would do it since the main incentive is to save money

they could, it would probably end up costing them a lot, so I doubt they would do it since the main incentive is to save money

So how would throwing a bit of a waste product into something end up costing them a lot more? Heck, I've heard that if you throw some wax in some corn syrup, it makes people believe it's genuine honey, then they buy more of your product, then start quoting wiki and defending said corn syrup against all doubters.. ;) :mug:

I've found a possible source directly from the local beekeepers and was told that a 7 1/2 gal ferment bucket full weighs @ 90 lbs and is $100. If I find out it's true, I'll post the results to wiki so you know it's the truth beyond a shadow of a doubt! lol. Of course, the locals that deliver the honey to this gathering point may just slip some bee wax and corn syrup in before delivery. lol. All I know is... if that corn syrup makes a good tasting mead...

Bring on the corn syrup! :D

Back