How to tell if my Perlick faucets are stainless or chrome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirjoel

Reaction score
Hi all, I purchased a 3-tap tower with Perlick faucets on craigslist and I'm trying to determine whether the faucets are chrome or stainless. Is there an easy way to tell? From the research I've done I'm pretty sure they are the 525 series, so the question is whether they are 525PC (chrome plated) or 525SS (stainless).

Even better, is the model number stamped on the faucets anywhere?

Sorry I realize this is possibly a silly question for some.

Thanks for any help.
Joel

Look inside the spout. It might not have been chromed inside?? Or take a file to it. You will be able to scratch through the chrome but not the SS. ;)

I read somewhere once that the little pivot "guide" on the chrome 525s is plastic and ss on the ss (go figure). So you could start there (not sure how true it is, but might as well check). Take them apart and if it has a plastic guide then its the chrome model. Or maybe email perlick? They should be able to identify them pretty quick

Assuming the reference above is to the bearing cup (item 6 & 6a) you can't use the plastic vs SS thing to differentiate between the PC and SS versions - because the first generation SS models all came with the same plastic cup as used on the PC models...

perlick_525ss_part.gif

Cheers!

Assuming the reference above is to the bearing cup (item 6 & 6a) you can't use the plastic vs SS thing to differentiate between the PC and SS versions - because the first generation SS models all came with the same plastic cup as used on the PC models...

Cheers!

Well there ya go. Like I said, I read it somewhere on the interwebs so wasnt sure. Thanks for clarifying :)

But I still stick to my original idea of emailing perlick :D;)

I think chrome is magnetic but stainless isn't

Chrome is magnetic but only some ss is magnetic. It has to do with the compound of the ss. But the most common ss are austenitic (SP?) so the magnet trick may actually work. I could check on my 630ss when I get home tonight

Edit: Forget that its chrome plated brass :/

I think chrome is magnetic but stainless isn't

Chrome itself is not magnetic but the substrate it's plated on usually is. Stainless as you said is not.

Edit: Stainless is usually not magnetic. Depending on the allow of stainless it can be magnetic but I doubt it here since it's probably a 316 or 304 alloy

You might be able to tell by checking if the body of the tap is magnetic. Chrome plated brass is not magnetic. While 300 series stainless steel usually isn't magnetic either, a casting of a 300 series stainless can be slightly ferritic.

Another thing to note with stainless is that when it is cold worked it can develop magnetic characteristics. Fyi. Put a magnet on a stainless bolt and the head and threads will be slightly magnetic but the unthreaded portion won't be magnetic.

My stainless perlicks stay silver inside the spout where all the chrome faucets I've seen turn colors inside.

Wow thanks all for the contributions in such short order. Based on your suggestions it’s still not obvious so I’m emailing Perlick.

>>> Look inside the spout. It might not have been chromed inside?? Or take a file to it.
- Inside looks like nice brushed stainless
- Sorry too nice to take a file to 

>>> My stainless perlicks stay silver inside the spout where all the chrome faucets I've seen turn colors inside.
- Inside is perfectly clean, which suggests stainless

>>> I think chrome is magnetic but stainless isn't
- My small rare earth magnet sticks to the faucet, which suggests chrome

>>> As I've watched this thread unfold, one question keeps nagging me:
>>>
>>> Why do you want to know?

The main reason is because I was going to order the growler filler attachment for that tap and read some threads where people say that 525PC requires a different size tap attachment than the 525SS, although I find that hard to believe. Also because I’m just curious of what I bought.

>>> Email perlick
Ah yes. Funny that I spent much time today on the Perlick website looking for an email address and for the life of me couldn’t find one. Being Memorial Day weekend they weren’t answering the phone. After this suggestion I looked again and found one and emailed them. I’ll share their response.

>>> As I've watched this thread unfold, one question keeps nagging me:
>>>
>>> Why do you want to know?

The main reason is because I was going to order the growler filler attachment for that tap and read some threads where people say that 525PC requires a different size tap attachment than the 525SS, although I find that hard to believe.

Have you considered just measuring the relevant dimensions? (Threads, what have you).

>>> I think chrome is magnetic but stainless isn't
- My small rare earth magnet sticks to the faucet, which suggests chrome

As sandyeggoxj said, you surely have stainless, unless perlick is misleading about the materials in their chrome plated faucet.

Chromium isn't ferromagnetic. Its actual magnetic behavior is kind of complicated, but if you're sticking a magnet to it it's probably not chromium. Some kinds of stainless steel are magnetic, depending on the crystal structure. (Most of the 400 series, as I recall, for instance.)

Just to wrap up this thread, I did receive a call back from the Perlick Corporation. Their response: "The 525 series is a stainless faucet, regardless of whether it is chrome plated or brass plated on the outside, the body itself is stainless."

Thanks all for your responses on this.

Just to wrap up this thread, I did receive a call back from the Perlick Corporation. Their response: "The 525 series is a stainless faucet, regardless of whether it is chrome plated or brass plated on the outside, the body itself is stainless."[...].

<cough>bullsh!t</cough>

So a 525ss is the same as a 525pc?

Yeah, that's a scenario that would fit the alleged statement.
Given the price differential, however, we have to believe that isn't true.

Which pretty much puts us right back in limbo...

Cheers! :confused:

[edit] Not to mention vendors that sold the 525PC listed it as "Chrome Plated Brass"

I have 525ss and 630ss and just tried a magnet. A very strong magnet and they are attracted, but the weight of the magnet itself will make it fall off.

Back