How to tell if is yeast is dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Braski

Reaction score
When I got my ingedients for my second batch it was during that wicked heat wave. I got the liquid yeast with a couple of ice packs. Of course it was so hot that I'm sure the ice packs didn't make much of a difference and when the yeast arrived it was quite hot so I put it in the fridge immediately.

A week later I take it out and give it a really good shake about 2 hours before my second brew. When I opened it up to pitch it I could hear it fizzing in the container and it sounded quite lively.

After 24 hours of no fermentation I'm definately not panicing, but there's a little voice in the back of my mind saying, "It WAS extremely hot, it COULD be dead"

Is there a way to tell if yeast is dead? I'm sure dead yeast would fizzle like that. I just want to make sure.

For next time, try to take the yeast out 3 - 6 hours before you brew (closer to 6 and some put it out for 24 hours). You want the yeast as close to room temp. as possible.

I'd wait 48 - 72 hours before you think about pitching again. My first brew took 72 hours before it started.

Next time look into making a Yeast Starter next time. If you do a search, you can find quite a few threads that will tell you how.

The only way to be certain is the proof it by making a starter. Fizz in the tube can be leftovers and not an indication of live yeast. If you lost 99% of the yeast it will take an extra day for the ferment to start. In theory, one cell is all it takes; but it will take a long time.

Back