How to Tell if Grains are Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

secinarot

Reaction score
I have quite a variety of leftover pre-crushed grains that I bought from NB back in December. I have been meaning to use some of them up in an Imperial Stout recipe but have been unable to find the time to brew for the past month! I read some other threads on this board about storage of grains. My question is how do I know if they have gone stale? I tasted them and I don't pick up any flavors that I would classify as stale, however I've never tried tasting grains before so I have no point of reference as to what fresh grains taste like.

Is there anyway that I can tell if these are good enough to use? Where I am planning to do a Stout will that mask any subtle stale flavors that a lighter beer may otherwise show through?

OP
S

secinarot

Reaction score
Does the age affect the grain's ability to be converted into sugars or just produce off flavors?

In the future I'm thinking I will buy the specialty grains uncrushed. However I don't have a grain mill. Will a rolling pin work on small amounts of specialty grains (i.e. less than a pound each)?

hcarter

Reaction score
:off: I looked at the title of this thread and thought it said, 'How to tell if girls are bad.'

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does the age affect the grain's ability to be converted into sugars or just produce off flavors?

In the future I'm thinking I will buy the specialty grains uncrushed. However I don't have a grain mill. Will a rolling pin work on small amounts of specialty grains (i.e. less than a pound each)?
yep, I usually just use a wine bottle.

It could certainly affect the enzymes and make for poor conversion. It could also taste "stale" and bland.

OP
S

secinarot

Reaction score
Well I think for a couple of bucks worth of grains I won't take the chance to ruin the whole batch. I think I'll just pitch them out.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Chew on a grain or two. Its flavor will tell you right away.

If you stored them in an air tight container chances are they're alright.

If stored on a counter in a garage chances are they'll taste like oil, dust, gas fumes, etc. But it just may be the flavor you've been looking for...Gasoline Alley...:D

EdWort

Reaction score

Not really if stored properly. I made a heavy blond using grains that were 2 years old, stored in my garage (no cars, just stuff). Dry and protected from insects and vermin, but exposed to two Texas Summers. See link below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/new-year-new-beer-95872/

So far, everyone who has tasted it has enjoyed it immensely. Unmilled malt can last a long time and still make very good beer.

OP
S

secinarot

Reaction score
Chew on a grain or two. Its flavor will tell you right away.

If you stored them in an air tight container chances are they're alright.
I did taste all of them, but the problem is I don't have a point of reference in that I have never tasted fresh grains before. I didn't pick up any flavors that I would consider really bad, but they definitely didn't taste "fresh" if I compare it with say cereal or other grain products that I am familiar with. I had them stored in the basement (around 55 deg) double bagged in plastic inside a rubbermaid bin. Also they were pre-crushed.

conpewter

Reaction score
I agree with your earlier statement to pitch them and get new so you don't have sub-par beer. I'm sure it would still taste OK but I bet it would taste even better with fresh grain.