How to tell if DME is bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostface

Reaction score
I have not brewed in about 5 or 6 months and I have some DME left over. I am getting ready to brew a couple of batches. I want to use this left over DME if I can. It looks good, I don't see any mold or anything and it smells good too. Is there a way to tell if it is no longer usable? It was stored in a zip lock in a cool, dry place. Thanks....

Use it. That is the only way.

Actually, you should be fine. If there are no apparent problems - no mold, bugs, if it isn't spidery, then it is good to use.

I had some DME that was over a year old, which I used for a yeast starter, and didn't notice any problems.

Tattoos. If the DME has a bunch of tattoos then that's a good sign that it's gone bad. Especially one of those big neck tattoos that runs up the back of its shaved head.

No really, so long as it was kept dry and sealed and shows no outward sign of deterioration then I think it'd be fine to use.

+1 to everything above... DME, stored properly, lasts a long time. 6 months is nothing. Brew it!

Okay, thanks guys!! I will use it. What do you think about this recipe so far?

3.3 lbs LME (light)
2.0 lbs DME (light)
1.0 lb Crystal 80 lovi
1.0 lb Carapils
3.0 oz Chocolate
1.0 oz Torrifed Wheat
2.0 oz Galena (bittering
1.5 Cascade (flavoring)
.5 oz Cascade (aroma)
1.0 oz Cascade (dry hop)
Wyeast #1332

I am not going after any particular style other than somewhat of an Amber American but not holding strict to the style? Any suggestions?

That recipe actually look like it'd be tasty, brew it and post your results!

DO IT NOW!:D

I brewed it two days ago and its going god in the fermenter. I cut the bittering hops dwon 1.5 oz because of the high AA%, I believe it's 14.5% and I am worried about it being too bitter. I like hops but I am not a hop head either. I will let you all know how it came out....

I bottled today and took a sample and this tsated great for it not being carbonated. I have never really liked any sample I have tasted at this stage. The North West American Ale is one of the best Ale strains I have tasted. I think I will keep this on hand at all times. You guys should try it....

Latest posts

Back