How to tell how old a Brewcraft USA kit is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopfool

Reaction score
I purchased a Brewcraft USA extract clone kit that appeared to have been sitting on their shelves for a while. Not being a total rube I did check for a "Use By" or "Sell By" date but found none. When I asked the regular shop guy he assured me that they kept all of their kit stocking properly rotated and within date.

Long story longer, I carefully followed the directions after dutifully following very strict cleaning and sanitizing protocols, and now four days after having pitched at 68 F., I still have no discernible proof of life. The directions recommend a 60 degree fermentation temp for best results so I carefully moved the fermenter to a storage room in my basement that maintains 62 F. plus or minus a few degrees at most. Starting SG was 1.071, well within the direction's 1.065-1.100 range.

I understand the concept of lag, but this seems a bit excessive, and I'm thinking the kit's age may have a hand in this. My air trap isn't showing so much as a breath of condensation much less a bubbling stream of CO2.

So what gives? The company is closed for the weekend so no help there 'til Monday, but I was hoping to get some insight here beforehand.

It did, but like a yutz I tossed the package after pitching since I wasn't really concerned about whether it was too old, thanks to the assurances of the LHBS employee. If nothing else I do have a batch number from the company that packages them so maybe I'll just have to wait til Monday to find out. Meanwhile... this long after the initial pitching, what can I do? Buy fresh yeast and pitch again?

If you are using a bucket, the CO2 produced by the fermentation, may be escaping around the lid instead of through the air lock.
Hold a flashlight to the side of the bucket to look for a krausen ring or open the bucket to check.

If you are using a bucket, the CO2 produced by the fermentation, may be escaping around the lid instead of through the air lock.
Hold a flashlight to the side of the bucket to look for a krausen ring or open the bucket to check.

New bucket, first time use. Never even considered it. Gonna go pop the top and check now. Thanks!

Yup ... no change in SG. Wort is sweet and hoppy, sorta just tastes like flat beer. Nothing at all in evidence growing on the wort or the fermenter walls. Ran out and grabbed the yeast and re-pitched. Now just gotta wait and see.

Thanks much.

Latest posts

Back