How to tell Co2 tank size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
I recently bought a 10# CO2 tank from e-bay and I believe they guy advertised the wrong size (I think its 5#). Is there a way for me to tell whether it is a 5# or 10# tank? Do each of them usually have certain dimension? I would like to be 100% sure before I give the guy a negative rating.

What is the height of it? I have a 5# and a 20#. My 5 is 18" tall to top of valve handle, my 20# is 28" tall.

This may not be the most scientific, and the code stamped on the side may provide info that I can't decipher, but this may help.

Its 18in tall and 5in diameter. Seems like pretty standard measurements for 5# tanks.

I would weigh it, but it was mailed with a full tank. There is a stamp on it that, I believe, reads 11lb 13oz V. Its a used tank with a lot of scuff marks, paint and sticker adhesive on the outside, so it is kind of hard to read.

I would weigh it, but it was mailed with a full tank. There is a stamp on it that, I believe, reads 11lb 13oz V.

The 11lb 13oz is the empty weight. Weigh it full then subtract 11lbs 13oz from that weight to get the weight of the co2 inside.

Back