How to switch windows product key number?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I re-installed Windows XP on a computer recently, using a new CD that I purchased. When I was asked for my Product Key, I used the one that came with the new CD. I forgot that the computer came with a license for XP that is taped to the side of the case. Now if I want to use the XP installation CD for another computer (one that does not have an XP license, it won't let me use that key number since I am already using it.

Is there a way to switch key numbers on a machine without re-installing Windows?

There is not, however you can use the key on the computer case for the next install of windows, but if you want to avoid confusion and it's a new install, then just reinstall windows.

Well, its a little more complicated than just switching CD Keys...

Your computer with the sticker on the side uses whats called an OEM install of Windows. One tweaked for say Dell or HP or whatever brand... You need to reinstall Windows from a restore CD or the CD that shipped with you computer to use that sticker on the side.

The retail version that you purchased can be installed on anything, but only on one machine at any given time...

So realistically, you'll need to reinstall the OEM version on your machine which in turn free's up the retail license for use elsewhere....

BUT, if you want to get a little tricky try following this article -> Change the Windows XP Key - How To Change the Windows XP Product Key Code - Change XP CD Key <- and see what happens. In some cases Windows is smart enough to know what version it is and what CD key your giving it and in some cases its a free for all :)

Not that it matters, but changing the key does not in fact change your licensing requirements.

You are licensed for an OEM copy of Windows on that computer and that computer only. Using that OEM key on another computer is technically illegal. Morally, I dont think anyone cares as one license = one license, however it is against the EULA and terms of the install with Microsoft.

Just thought I'd put that in there as someone who works in licensing industry.

Yeah, I didn't think of the legality of using the OEM license (even if it is as yet unused) on another computer.

Pay no attention to me :)

It is possible to change the product key through the activation wizard. I have done it before but can't remember the name of the program to execute if you've already activated Windows (I'm sure google has the answer). You go into the 'by telephone' method and there is a button for changing the key. You may have to re-activate Windows after which may require a call to Microsoft's toll free activation line.

You may also run into a situation where the Windows CD you used to install is a later release than the original in which case the product key will not activate, again a call to the MS line will let you correct this.

Back