How to store Sam Adams Utopias

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
Hi All,
I won 2 bottles of Utopias (2007) in a homebrew competition!
I plan on drinking one in a few months, and age the other.
I don't have any special beer/wine fridge.

How should it be stored?

thanks

Upright in the most temperature stable area of your house. 46-50 degF would be great, but a constant temp is the most important thing.

BTW, you are one lucky (or skilled) bastid

Upright in the most temperature stable area of your house. 46-50 degF would be great, but a constant temp is the most important thing.

BTW, you are one lucky (or skilled) bastid

Thanks for the help! (I would like to think I'm a little bit of both...)

where are you located? damn thats a hell of a homebrew prize.

I'm in Israel. The Israeli competition is sponsored by Sam Adams.

yea it worked...i wont be stopping by. damn. please contribute something to this thread if you think of it since many of us havent had the opertunity to taste it. Once i get my hands on one im going to try and culture the yeast out of one of the bottles but i dont know if its even possible. enjoy the spoils of your winnings. utopias

yea it worked...i wont be stopping by. damn. please contribute something to this thread if you think of it since many of us havent had the opertunity to taste it. Once i get my hands on one im going to try and culture the yeast out of one of the bottles but i dont know if its even possible. enjoy the spoils of your winnings. utopias

I'm not sure when to open this thing... Its twice as expensive (per volume) as the most expensive single malt I have. I'll need to wait for the proper celebration and company.
As to the yeast, I don't think it can be done. They probably lost the will to live.
I don't think the yeast is the important part here, anyway (unlike most good beers). The process is all that counts. I wouldn't consider cloning it. However, if you want to make a super_barleywine, go ahead. Just try a 20% one before going straight for the world record.

I stored mine at "room temperature" in my office on a shelf with other Sam Adams paraphenalia (wow I spelled that right). I would venture that was somewhere between 65 and 70. Since I am at work, I can not check the SA website for further details, but you may want to do so. I'm not entirely sure that storing it at ~50 is the best for taste and I can't imagine ~70 making it go bad (it sure tasted great to me). I drank it in a big red wine glass and held it from the bulb of the glass (not the stem). I need to get me another bottle of it. It went to quick...

Hi All,

How should it be stored?

thanks

I know of a very soft, always moderate temperature place.

My belly!:D

Send them over, Ill cut you a discount on the rental fee.

Sam Adams paraphenalia (wow I spelled that right

lol, no you didn't :p

i've tried the utopias a few times at the monk's kettle in san francisco for $30/ounce.

it was quite good, but i don't know that i'll be paying for it again.
just too damn expensive, even if it is a delicious port of a beer

:rockin:

I'm not sure when to open this thing... Its twice as expensive (per volume) as the most expensive single malt I have. I'll need to wait for the proper celebration and company.
As to the yeast, I don't think it can be done. They probably lost the will to live.
I don't think the yeast is the important part here, anyway (unlike most good beers). The process is all that counts. I wouldn't consider cloning it. However, if you want to make a super_barleywine, go ahead. Just try a 20% one before going straight for the world record.

true. i think it comes in at 27% which is crazy...

12yyeh.jpg

I see some people replied here less than a year ago, which is very recently considering how old this thread is :)

anyway, I ended up storing it in a dark corner of the basement, where it's around 65-75F year round. I drank one with friends a few months later.
The other one was just there for a long while... I sold it for $270 around 2013.

I had the 10 year anniversary back when it came out. I paid $25 bucks for a 1 ounce pour... I hate admitting that but it was one of those once in a lifetime kind of things. I thought it was very tasty but I cannot imagine paying almost $300 for a bottle of it! Damn!

Hi All,

How should it be stored?

thanks

You're going to age a ten year old bottle?

It should be renamed 'Rip van Winkle' ale... Lol

Congrats on the win though!

Dammit! Just realized the date of this post. Brain bubble.

Vert daferk??

Back