How to stop a leaky K-type thermocouple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinger084

Reaction score
I am using a K-type thermocouple fro Auberins. I am having problems with the liquid leaking out around where the stainless steel wire shroud enters the nut head (swivel point). How can this be stopped? Should I just use JB Weld all around that swivel portion so that it won't swivel anymore, and hopefully not leak?

TC-K6a.jpg

therocouple_nut.jpg

I wasn't aware that those bolt-style thermocouples were supposed to be water tight. On my HLT I use a probe-style thermocouple mounted in a compression fitting.

I used (tried to use) the probe style ones as well with a compression fitting but those leaked too. I'm not talking about at the compression fitting either. Either the weld at the tip or at one of the step up points must have a small hole in it.

I filtered my strike water the night before and when I came out in the morning to start brewing the first time with the probe, there was water INSIDE the probe coming out by the spring. Before some of you chime in that they are not listed at water tight, I did call Auberins first and ask if they could be used with a compression fitting to get a water tight probe and was told yes, they could. I may try to have them rewelded but I think this is a case of you get what you pay for.

I did like pole and put some JB weld between the probe and the threaded adapter. Worked fine. I ended up replacing it with a water tight RTD eventually.

Just so that we're talking about the same thing, here's a shot of the back of my probe thermocouple and compression fitting:

p1000239.jpg

And the front:
Inside.JPG

Bigscience, sounds like s defective probe to me. I'd send it back, auber is pretty good about exchanges.

I went back to Pol's thread right after I posted, and I found he used putty stick. I used the same thing with no problems.

Bigscience, sounds like s defective probe to me. I'd send it back, auber is pretty good about exchanges.

I thought about a return except I've already attached a compression fitting and a disconnect. By the time I remove and reinstall and the cost/hassle of shipping, I think I'll just eat the $12. I will see if I can have if rewelded. Worse case I end up with a probe I still can't use in liquid.

I also thought about putting it inside my panel to monitor the inside temp or using it for room/grain temp.

Back