How to ship beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnJ

Reaction score
How do you ship a sample 6 pack to friends or family without the beer being destroyed? Also, if you use Fedex or UPS, what do you tell them is in the package?

Wrap each bottle securely in bubble wrap, and pack them with styrofoam peanuts. Shippers probably won't ask you specifically what's in the package, but they will ask you is it's perishable, breakable, or liquid. Say no, and if they do ask you what's in the box, tell them it fruitcake or bibles or something else innocuous and indestructible.

This time of year I'd be more worried about freezing than breakage, but it's been below zero up here lately, and I guess the result is the same. That aside, I would roll up the bottles in bubble wrap individually. then wrap them in a whole bunch of packing foam and box em up. Since I use the UPS account at work, nobody ever asks what's in the box. I'm not sure that's a good thing, but it's a fact.

Good luck

No, no, no...you need to make three stickers and place them on the box.

On one side place a sticker that says: "LIVE Yeast Sample for Analysis".

On two sides place a sticker that says: "RUSH to Laboratory upon arrival - DO NOT HOLD".;)

Nope. I tried sending a package to a member here. The box got all the way to Illinois from CA when they misrouted the box and then damaged it. They said the damaged goods were going to get thrown out and the remainder returned to me. I saw the package go back and forth from where the delevery place was to the distribution hub a couple times and then it just dissapeared. :mad:

I used the local mail box shop and they actually had a sign that said they wouldn't ship alcoholic beverages. They were just holding it for UPS to pick up. I guess it was their personal issue.

She asked me what was in the box and I gave her the "live yeast sample" line. She said, "as long as it's not alcohol." I just kept my mouth shut.

I always line the box with a plastic trash bag and put everything inside it. That way if something breaks, at least maybe it won't leak all over the place.

I called a local UPS store and asked them if I could ship beer with them. The guy told me sure, as long as he didn't know what was in the box. Worked for me, and everything went off without a hitch.

Now this is good news!

I've got a batch nearing completion in a couple of weeks and I plan on shipping some to my family in Virginia (I'm in Georgia). I was wondering what the best way to pack would be and how the shipping companies feel about all of this. It looks like I'll be using the "don't ask, don't tell" policy as well. :)

I put "FRAGILE" "GLASS" on a package and it made it from seattle to illinois with no problems.

Back