How to serve Russian Imperial Stout on a C02 only tap system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnaratil

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I just ordered a sixtel of Victory Storm King Russian Imperial Stout and was wondering if running on c02 what psi. I've read the ideal scenario is a beer gas 75% nitro 25% co2 but can I just serve it at real low PSI with just my regular C02?

If I would do a beer gas ( I have an extra tank) can I just have it mixed with the standard c02 tank.

Thanks,
:mug:

Many stouts are served w CO2 only...on my system it would be set at about 8-11 lbs. If you want to go w beer gas (commonly just referred to as "nitro") I believe that you need a diff tank, but I am not 100% sure.

good Luck!

Good Morning,

I just ordered a sixtel of Victory Storm King Russian Imperial Stout and was wondering if running on c02 what psi. I've read the ideal scenario is a beer gas 75% nitro 25% co2 but can I just serve it at real low PSI with just my regular C02?

If I would do a beer gas ( I have an extra tank) can I just have it mixed with the standard c02 tank.

Thanks,
:mug:

If you have another tank and want to do beer gas, just search for a place in your area that can fill it with beer gas. In our neighborhood, its a place called Centennial Tap that sells anything and everything for commercial (and home) tap systems. They'll fill it with the 75/25 mix, although it usually takes a bit longer than a standard CO2 tank.

However, if you want to run on beer gas, you need the special stout faucet. This faucet has a restrictor plate on it with lots of little holes that create small bubbles when forcing it through. If you can find a tap store, they should have one. When using beer gas and one of these stout faucets, I usually charge to ~30 psi. Because the CO2 is only 25%, this comes out to ~7.5 psi of CO2. The nitrogen is only used for forcing it through the restrictor plate, hence the high psi.

If you want to run only on CO2, just charge to ~7 psi or so and go up from there if you want.

Edit: and for what its worth, if you're curious about running with beer gas, like nitro beers that you've had on tap at bars, and have been thinking about it, I would give it a shot. Getting that incredible cascade in your glass and a super-creamy rich stout at home is definitely a treat.

Great answers thanks you. I am so excited to try my first in home stout. I get a kick out of perfect pour with just C02 and take artsy fartsy pictures of it. If I could create a cascade that would be art maaannnnnnnn! haha

Thanks again

Oh and to hijack my own topic.

What do you guys use for Stouts glass wise?
I just picked up some AVENTINUS glasses thinking they would complement it well. Or just the good ole Duvel?

Good Morning,
. . . If I would do a beer gas ( I have an extra tank) can I just have it mixed with the standard c02 tank.
. . .

That's up to your gas supplier. If you fill it to CO2 pressures, I don't see a problem, but many places won't sell beer mix without a N2 tank.

Just to follow up.

Running just C02 at about 6 PSI this stuff pours like motor oil that has 100000 miles on it with a great lasting head. I don't mind the slow pour its a beautiful waterfall. The keg only sat after transport 2 hours. There is almost a cascade effect in the head. Will this change as the keg balances with the system I dont know.

A delicious complex beer that changes with every degree closer to room temp.

I prefer stouts on CO2 than Nitro Mix. I think CO2 allows for the entire spectrum of flavors to come through. I have had Old Rasputin on tap with nitro but I think it's much better with CO2...

Sure the nitro will be smooth and creamy...but it will also present the hops and malt in a different way. Don't worry about it. Just treat it the same. Have fun.

I prefer stouts on CO2 than Nitro Mix. I think CO2 allows for the entire spectrum of flavors to come through. I have had Old Rasputin on tap with nitro but I think it's much better with CO2...

Sure the nitro will be smooth and creamy...but it will also present the hops and malt in a different way. Don't worry about it. Just treat it the same. Have fun.

Yeah, they're definitely different flavors. The nitro takes away a lot of the carbonic bite that actually helps the bitterness come through. This can be a good thing, in that it can take away some of the sharp bitterness from a lot of roasted malts, but it can be a bad thing if you still want to have the hops accentuated.

Everybody's got their preference, and it will be different for every beer depending on the malt/bitterness balance.

Yeah the finish on it is bitter and dry. I like it, its not overwhelming and I like the hoppyness of it.

Where the wifey thinks the bitterness is too much and it overwhelms her pallet with bitter aftertaste.

I can see how it would change the flavor now though.

I can wait to get home and try it again its been 4:28pm TGIF for hours now.haha

GOD BLESS THE WEEKEND!

DSC06677.jpg

DSC06676.jpg

DSC06675.jpg

I love me some storm king. I recently had it on tap, all CO2. I'm not sure I'd even want it on beergas/nitro, but I'll try anything once.

Aw man, now I want a Storm King.

Back