How to rush a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole74

Reaction score
I'm brewing a batch for a friends family reunion which is the 1st week in August. I've had a batch of black lager ale in the primary for 3 1/2 weeks and it has not reached FG yet. I only have 3 weeks until d day. I plan on force carbonating it in the keg which i can do in a week. So this gives me 2 weeks between now and then. Do I transfer it to the secondary for that 2 weeks or leave it in the primary until FG is reached then go right to the keg?

Look for a Speed Brew recipe. Bonneville Flats Bitter. It's a good recipe. Don't rush it. Just leave it in the primary for a week instead od the few days recommended in the recipe. It'll be a better beer if you do.

There's a recipe in BYO, May-Jun 2006 if you have a copy.

I would give it another week in primary then cold crash for 48hrs and add gelitin (to primary) for 48 more hours and then keg.

Above all taste the gravity sample...it its not moving (24-48hrs) and tastes good, keg it...If it doesn't taste good...you need to give it more time...

Back