how to reuse 12 oz. commercial bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cola

Reaction score
so i have these 12 oz. guinness beer bottles that would be absolutely perfect for storing beer. but the problem is that the tops have to be open with a can opener and therefore are therefore "disposable" because the tops can't be put back in place.

im sure there is a way to recan these commercial beer tops...

Beerrific

Reaction score
Yeah, you can simply buy new caps. You will also need a caper and you can reuse the bottles as much as you want. The caps are cheap, no need to try to re-use them.

coldbrewnoob

Reaction score
so i have these 12 oz. guinness beer bottles that would be absolutely perfect for storing beer. but the problem is that the tops have to be open with a can opener and therefore are therefore "disposable" because the tops can't be put back in place.

im sure there is a way to recan these commercial beer tops...
Drink them washed them put beer in and cap them its pretty simple

Bmorebrew

Reaction score
An easy way to get in the habit of cleaning bottles:

Get a plastic tub or bucket and put in some water and oxyclean. After you open the bottle and pour the contents, immediately rinse the bottle at the tap a couple of times, then go to wherever you have the tub/bucket and submerge the bottle. Once or twice a week, remove the bottles and labels, rinse, allow to dry, and store. When you need em, they'll be pre-packaged and clean!

TyTanium

Reaction score
Get a plastic tub or bucket and put in some water and oxyclean...Once or twice a week, remove the bottles...
Do you have film/residue issues with that? If I let my stuff sit in oxy for more than a few hours (i.e., if the water temp falls below "hot") it always leaves a film.

Bmorebrew

Reaction score
No - I assume you might have hard water then. A rinse in a vinegar solution should take care of that. I do get a film if I use washing soda to soak, which is just sodium carbonate (oxiclean is sodium percarbonate I believe).