How to repair keg post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been cleaning kegs today to get ready for some pressure fermenting in said kegs. After alkaline-cleaned, sanitized and O-rings lubed, I put 14lbs of CO2 on each one. One of them has a leak around the gas post. When the kegs arrived, I noticed that post was tilting a little to the right. I haven't used that keg since I bought them a year ago. (Used kegs.) What could I seal it with that could withstand up to 35PSI? There has got to be something that will work.

Thanks in advance,
Belgian Samurai

PXL_20210708_201659644.jpg PXL_20210708_201726458.jpg

Have you removed the post yet?
The O-ring that goes under the dip tube flange might be damaged or even missing...

Cheers!

Here is perhaps a better picture. So I installed a new O-ring on the dip tube as well. I cut the gas dip tube short like you mentioned on another forum thread. Did I cut it too short?

PXL_20210708_205308812.jpg

when you hit it with 14psi, did you disconnect the gas? has the poppet been changed, looks like an old original one?

are you seeing bubbly something at the base spraying it? i get leaky gas poppets when i pull empty kegs all the time.

The post base should also have an o-ring in the groove at the top of it. If that's missing, you need to install one.

I've never trimmed the gas post dip tubes on my kegs. Then again, I don't ferment in corny kegs.

Must just be the bases I buy for the kegmenter caps. Checked a 2.5 gallon keg posts and they don't have the o-rings.

i've never used one, just wanted to make sure i wasn't crazy. never been quite sure how it seals, but i don't lose co2. maybe like a flare fitting?

[...]So I installed a new O-ring on the dip tube as well. I cut the gas dip tube short like you mentioned on another forum thread. Did I cut it too short?

It's fine - I cut mine between 3/8" and 1/2" total length and that one looks to be right in the middle.
I would remove enough of the rubber around the threaded post riser to fully expose the weld all around it.
Then reassemble the keg, pressurize it, and see if the leak (if it still leaks) is where the riser meets the keg.
Might need to fill a big sink and stick the keg end under water to find the leak...

Cheers!

Thanks everyone for your input!! I have been doing tedious cleaning all day and have hit a wall. Time for a drink! I will report back tomorrow if all goes to plan.

Cheers!

Kegs can be a huge pain. But once you get them dialed in they will serve you for years. Like the others said make sure your consumables (orings, poppets) look good and use keg lube. And once you have them matched and not leaking never pull more than one apart at a time for cleaning, or at least mark them to the respective keg. Over the years there was a few different manufactures and one doesn’t play well with the other as far as sealing. Believe I bought a die (have to look) I can send you for the threads, but would need need to get your thread pitch to be sure.

Okay, I got it resolved. It just needed a new O-ring.

I first tried teflon tape (generic plumber's thread-wrap) on the gas post, which didn't work, but perhaps I didn't wrap the threads enough times; however, I believe I read that Teflon tape is a lubricant for threads and not an actual sealer even though it does do that to a certain extent. Regardless, I then was going to switch out the dip tube per @IslandLizard 's suggestion, but on closer inspection, it seemed the O-ring was mashed. I replaced it with a new one. (If it was already a new O-ring as I mentioned in OP, I didn't think I wrenched it down that tight to have mashed it. I use the manual-torquing method: tighten with the final turns using only two fingers on the wrench. Maybe I forgot to replace it and just thought I did.) After that, I then submerged it in a tub per @day_trippr 's suggestion and verified no leak. I proceeded by putting 35lbs of CO2 on the keg and the soapy water test showed no leak. Houston, we're good to go!

BEFORE/AFTER:
PXL_20210709_145450921.jpg PXL_20210709_152123842.jpg
PXL_20210709_154845780.jpg

Thanks, everyone.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Back