how to remove paint from corona bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
for weeks ive been searching the web for ways to get paint off of corona bottles and after trying several methods i finally found one that works.

materiel:
*glass cup (large enough to fit the corona bottle in),
*hydrochloric acid (i used muriatic acid purchased at home depo),
*tooth past, or glass oven cleaner.
*i also recommend gloves and goggles but there not necessary

procedure:

1)fill bottles with water and place one of the bottles in glass cup
-fill glass cup with the hydrochloric acid so that the paint is submerged.
-let the bottle sit for 5 min and then take it out of the cup and put in sunlight to dry
-repeat the process with the other bottles and let them sit in the sun all day

2)after they have sat in the sun for several hrs the paint will have started to flake off.
-wash the paint off (i used the abrasive side of a sponge)

-at this point 95-99% of the paint is gone but you can still see some faint printing, i suggest you redo step 1 and 2 to make things easier but if your impatient you can just skip to step 3, but it will be more work.

3)get a sponge with an abrasive side and get the toothpaste or glass oven cleaner (or any type of abrasive rubbing compound)
-use the abrasive compound and sponge to polish the rest of the faint stubborn paint off

note: step 3 really isn't needed unless you want the bottles perfect. after doing step 2 and 1 once or twice you can barely notice the remaining paint.

-you must let the bottles dry and be exposed to sunlight for several hrs, leaving them in the acid will take longer and not remove the bottom white cote of paint.

safety:
-DO THIS OUT SIDE, accidentally spilling a drop on carpet or hardwood flores will do permanent damage
-this dosnt produce allot of fumes but avoid breathing in what little there are, it very annoying
-if you accidnetly spill some acid on you hand dont worry, your flesh isn't going to melt off your bones, just go wash your hands with soap and cold water. it takes a minuet or so for the acid to start to do any damage to you skin so you have plenty of time, just dont rub your eyes.
-do this in the dirt, if you spill some on cement it will it will react with the cement. if spilled on concrete the liquid will start to bubble and turn yellow but after you wash it off the cement looks the same, but i would avoid spilling it on cement anyway.

Thanks for sharing, but there are way to many bottles with easy to remove labels for me to do that.

Why all this work for clear bottles?

I suppose it could apply to some other brown bottles (Chimay, Stone, etc).

Also, if you make other beverages aside from just hopped beer, clear might be kind of cool (Apfelwine, kombucha, ginger ale, etc)

Thanks for sharing OP. :mug:

davis119 said:
What about a wire wheel on a bench grinder id imaging that's take it right off

That's how I do painted bottles. Never tried Corona but I imagine it would work.

yes its allot of work for clear bottles, but if your like me and have a bottle shortage then you take what you can get. the local brewing shop sells bottle for a buck a each, which is ridiculous, and the bars in my location already made arrangements to give the bottle to someone else for recycling and wont give any up.

ive tried to use a wire wheel, got some of the paint off but not allot, and broke a few bottles in the process.

yes its allot of work for clear bottles, but if your like me and have a bottle shortage then you take what you can get. the local brewing shop sells bottle for a buck a each, which is ridiculous, and the bars in my location already made arrangements to give the bottle to someone else for recycling and wont give any up.

ive tried to use a wire wheel, got some of the paint off but not allot, and broke a few bottles in the process.

A buck a bottle empty is crazy, you can pay just a bit more and have it full of tasty beer.

A couple things. If you want clear bottles buy newcastle ale. They are clear bottles,easy to clean up. I use them as test bottles for week 1 and 2 when conditioning.

Also, if you feel paying for empties is too much, go to Costco and buy their cases of microbrew for $18.99. That way you get empties and some beer to try.

I can't see the reason to take on that much risk in handling the removal of labels. There are other ways to get bottles as well. check out the forum.

Nice to have an alternative method. Many ways to pet a kitty. :cool:

I like a Dremel with a wire brush. They come in many sizes and stiffnesses. Works great.

Pbw, soak in a bucket for 2 days...every paint speck comes off without any scrubbing...

Awesome. Thank you. I have tons of corona bottles and thought I'd use them for my hard cider but don't want the logo. Perfect. And it's been a dang long time since I've played with muriadic acid. A dang long time. Mwahahahaaa.

Back