how to put together an event.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I would really like to put together a small competition, tasting event to raise money for charity, and promote home brewing.
I've never done it before and would like to start a discussion about all the things that go into something like this.
Any info is helpful.
I am in West Chester, PA.

I want to raise money for the aspca.
I'm going to visit my LHS to see if he wants in.... But other than that I'm starting from scratch.

Here's a writeup on what we did for a small campus ministry http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=beer-tasting-party-for-agape If you've got any questions, let me know.

I think combining a competition and a tasting could present some problems for you. A competition needs BJCP certified judges, I think, and is a ton of work. The tasting, while also a lot of work, is much more manageable.

Good luck and ask if you have any questions!

Keep in mind that most traditional competitions do not make money! Even with entries at $5-7 apiece, you won't make a dime. By the time you pay for the bread (for the judges to clear their palates), the scoresheets and the mailing of the scoresheets, and ribbons and stuff, you're lucky if you break even. Even if you beg prizes from sponsors (Wyeast and White labs and Briess always say "yes"), it's still not a money making proposition.

If you're planning a tasting event for charity, that's great but check the laws in your state to make sure you won't get into any trouble for "selling homebrew". If the event is set up properly, you should be fine.

Pappers_ said:
Here's a writeup on what we did for a small campus ministry http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=beer-tasting-party-for-agape If you've got any questions, let me know.

I think combining a competition and a tasting could present some problems for you. A competition needs BJCP certified judges, I think, and is a ton of work. The tasting, while also a lot of work, is much more manageable.

Good luck and ask if you have any questions!

Thanks, and ill let you know.
~Cheers

Yooper said:
Keep in mind that most traditional competitions do not make money! Even with entries at $5-7 apiece, you won't make a dime. By the time you pay for the bread (for the judges to clear their palates), the scoresheets and the mailing of the scoresheets, and ribbons and stuff, you're lucky if you break even. Even if you beg prizes from sponsors (Wyeast and White labs and Briess always say "yes"), it's still not a money making proposition.

If you're planning a tasting event for charity, that's great but check the laws in your state to make sure you won't get into any trouble for "selling homebrew". If the event is set up properly, you should be fine.

Thanks.. And yes I definitely am doing it for charity.. I have contacted a lawyer for his take on how to proceed.
I appreciate all the helpful hints.

I'm more looking for ideas to do at this event. Any cool things you noticed at the events in your local events?
The last one I was at had each person who came to the event given 5 voting chips.. They then placed the chips at the table of their favorite brewers . At the end the chips were counted and a "people's choice" award was given out.
I thought it was a pretty good way to do it.. Everyone was also given a "tasting sheet" so he or she could write notes down on every brew they had..
I'm looking for unique ideas to make this event special. And to grab as many people's attention as possible.
I also want the brewers to be excited about it.

Yooper said:

How do I contact Wyeast, white labs, and Briess to see if they'd like to sponsor?

I'm a political fundraiser and the two most important details about an event that determine its success is the list of people you are inviting and a draw.

The beer drinking audience is bigger than the home brewing audience so you should try and aim the draw at them. Have a raffle of some rare bombers or something to that end, silent auction(btw I'm prohibited from this in politics, lol).

Get a good list and get people working for you to increase attendance.

We have a local place that does an annual event to raise money - they do all kinds of art/music type things all year long. They host a "homebrew tasting" night. They bring in an acoustic type guitar player/singer. Set up in their outdoor courtyard. There are usually around 30-40 beers on hand from local homebrewers. Open to the public, $5-$7 or something like that admission. Free tasting. They have a "people's choice" contest for top 3 places and some nice little prizes from local HBS and local brewpub. They have been doing it for maybe 3 years now, and I think they had 150 show up last year. I think something like this is your best bet as far as setup, less work, better turn out, raising money, etc. A real "contest" is going to be a lot of work and raise no money.

How do I contact Wyeast, white labs, and Briess to see if they'd like to sponsor?

Email, right on their website. There are links to contact them.

I think there are others I've received prizes from, too, like Williams Brewing. You can ask anybody- all they can say is "no" at the worst!

Back