how to pseudo-lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
I have been looking all morning and can't find an exact answer in the threads. I want to make a boston lager clone but I don't have lagering equipment. I think what I want to do is pseudo-lager it. I have my recipe and figured I would use kolsch yeast or maybe notty and put my fermenter in my insulated mash tun. I would throw in some ice once in a while. I figured I would primary it like this (~50-60) for 3 weeks then bottle and store in the fridge for another 3-4 weeks. And i'm not looking for an exact replica, I just want to see if I can get it in the ballpark.

Does anyone have an idea on how to actually pseudo-lager? I'm looking for a step by step so I know exactly what to do. Thanks in advance,

The steps you mentioned will get you what you're looking for. I'd recommend the kolsch yeast over Notty. Notty is clean, but kolsch is very lager like.

I would use the Wyeast007 or WLP810 for the temps you have. Wont be a clone of that beer because of the wrong yeast, but should make a good beer.

Back