How to protect hops from severe storm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
Im in southern Indiana and we are going to be getting some severe storms thru the next few days with some hail possible.

I have my hops already trained and they are about a foot up the ropes so far. Should I put something over them to protect them?

True.. shld I worry about the 3-5 in of rain we will be getting over the next few days? It is somewhat mounted and on the side of a small hill

you could probably throw some mulch on the soil to help prevent splash and erosion but hops are a tough plant. We had a flood a few years back that fema declared a disaster area...my hops were fine.

Not much you can do. I've heard of people tarping to protect from hail but if they are only a foot or so, its probably not worth the effort. Look up "Hopfarmer" on this forum. He had about 7 acres that was devastated by hail a few years back. He managed to retrain what grew back and still get a harvest.

They actually did just fine! I put about 2in of mulch on top and hoped for the best and they made it thru and are really taking off

Back