How to properly use a sediment filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got a water filter with sediment filter. I'm still trying to figure out the procedure.

I don't mind having yeast in my beers, so I guess that I don't see the benefits of post fermentation filtering. I brew wheat beers and now I started a Vienna lager serial production.

1) Can I just filter the wort as it goes in the fermenter? Will I get benefits from it? Could I them just throw the hops in and let the filter take care of it? Will it clog?

2) what happens if I filter my lager after fermentation? I'm guessing some kind of closed transfer with the filter between starsan purged kegs. I'm also guessing that the yeast should stay in there up until I tap it, and I don't think I should filter a carbonated beer.

3) Should I just skip the filtering and cold crash then transfer? Or cold crash and use a floating dip tube? That's what I've been doing so far, so maybe I can just ignore the filtering.

What is the process you guys are using?

Cheers!

2) what happens if I filter my lager after fermentation?
Besides risking more oxidation basically nothing. You didn't specify the filter rating but I'm guessing it'll be at the very least 100 micron, or about 10 times an average yeast cell. You'll basically be removing nothing from your beer.

I forgot to mention, my filter is 5 micron. I don't mind getting the right one if it does not work. But my goal is not really to filter a finished beer.

To be honest I don't even know if I really need to filter anything. I thought that filtering the wort could maybe help. Help what? I'm not even sure.

In that case it's just probably going to clog very early... Filtration at that level is really no walk in the park.

Back