how to properly introduce campden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
I did not use the campden before pitching. I am also hesitant to use them when I transfer to a Carboy. I dunno just something in my gut says not to. I am using a fellow members banana heavy bodied wine recipe so I dunno. Lets just say I just don't think I should add them. On another note, because I am quite positive you all will tell me to use them, how do I incorporate the 5 tablets? Crush them all at once and put in Carboy before putting what looks like pond water in? Or do it in increments? Thanks for input. :)

I think I hate the campden because they look like a pill lol.

I place mine on a spoon and crush them with another spoon that will nest on top of it. Put the powder with a tablespoon of sorbate in a cup of water. Add that to the carboy when I do my last racking then rack right on top of it to ensure it gets mixed pretty well.

I boil 1/4 cup of water in the microwave, stir the tablets it and crush with a spoon if they don't dissolve right away. It takes just a few seconds. Then pour the campden mixture into the carboy, and rack the wine into it.

Back