How to pronouce Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was app full veen (app like an iphone app, full like this keg is full, and veen rhyming with spleen)

Just to finish this off, it turns out I was mistaken by my first post. He corrected me yesterday (after trying my first Apfelwein) that in his part of Germany it is pronounced "abel-voy".

My pronounciation of Apfelwein directly correlates to what number bottle I am on that evening.

Ap Fell Vine

Although there are some fairly distinct regional dialects in Germany, this would be the "normal" pronunciation. You could also reasonably say it like:

Ab Fell Vine

NineMilBill said:
My pronounciation of Apfelwein directly correlates to what number bottle I am on that evening.

+1 me too!

It gets more german-y as that number increases.

It's an old thread, I know, but being Austrian (we speak a southern German dialect, very much akin to Bavarian) I can't keep my mouth shut about it. Funny enough, the way the word Apfelwein is pronounced is one of the things that demarcate the High German dialects (spoken in the south) from the Low German dialects (spoken in the north). In High German, it goes like Uh-pfl-vine. In Low German, the "pf" mutation has not been made, so he word is Appel, the "A" being pronounced as "uh", as in "duh!"
In the region that is famous for its production adn consumption of Apfelwein people speak a dialect that pronounces Wein "voï". And they also use the plural form of Appel, which is Äppel - pronounced as the English word apple.
As a side note, the Austrian province i live in takes pride in its apple wine, although we call it by a different name: Most (pronounced like the English word), which is traditionally produced by wild fermentation and therefore aptly nicknamed "Landessäure" ("national acidity").
Sorry for the rant, just thought it's always good to have primar sources.
Cheera

Back