How to prep oak dowels for lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnVinoVeritas

Reaction score
Hello-

Like many other fellow homebrewers, i have attempted to make a raspberry lambic to please the missus.

anyway, having only 6 months brewing, it seems I was a little overzealous given the unique nature of using wild yeasts.

anyway, i am thinking about adding an oak dowel to my carboy. A few questions:

1) i know this will help the brett do their thing, but is it worth the effort?
2) the pellicle is already forming and some big bubbles are appearing in the white fungus on top of the wort (about 7 weeks in the secondary with fruit) - how much longer would you leave in carboy or is it better to just bottle it and let it do its thing in there (if it will...?!)

any tips or advice appreciated.

:)

thx

ryan
gilbert, az

1) Oak actually isn't necessary for brett or any bugs associated with wild beer. Micro oxidation only changes the flavor. Plus the oak contributes its own flavors. Brett actually forms the pellicle to protect itself from oxygen.

2) Depending on what blend or single strain of brett you used, you should expect a wait from 6 months to a year. You might want to rack it off the fruit after a while. Someone who has made a fruited lambic can be of help in that respect. Bottom line is that wild beer takes considerably longer.

This should probably be in the Lambic section.

Back