How to pour a nitro from a can.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I bought a 4 pack of Murphy's Imported Stout. I wanted to have an Irish Stout to compare the one I'm going to brew up tomorrow.

I opened it and poured at a 45* angle as shown on the can. There was a great foamy head, but soon the beer was as flat at a glass of water.

What did I do wrong? Almost poured it down the drain but at $10 a 4 pack I drank it.

I was taught as a bartender to open the can or bottle and turn it completely upside down over the glass, and let it go, lifting it up as the level rises in the glass. Seemed to work okay. Works best in a glass that hasn't been chilled to the point of icing.

Picked up a 6 pack of Firestone Walker's Nitro Stout cans. According to the can, invert the can 3 times, then pour it in straight up (no angle).

I have yet to obtain a canned or bottled "nitro" stout that wasn't a pathetic competitor to a tap poured nitro stout. Even Young's double chocolate stout in the widget can is a sad representation of the same beer on tap. And don't even get me started on Left Hand's milk stout...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back