How to pour a Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knewshound

Reaction score
I plan on putting this as a small folded tag for my Xmas beer for those who have never poured a homebrew.

howtopourahomebrew11fd3.png

The actual Image that I will print is about 4X6. Once folded it sould be about 2X2.

The space at the end of the text is a "Best if Used Before" date I will hand write on them before I pass them out.

Comments?

Advice?

Winning Lottery Numbers?

Cheers,

knewshound

That's really good. I think step 3 is a bit confusing, but it's a great idea to include

Nice! I'd change step 3 to read: "Pour at a shallow angle. Leave about 1/4 inch of beer in the bottle to keep yeast sediment out of your glass."

Yeah I agree, at first it sounded like you wanted me to pour all of the beer+yeast into the glass. But otherwise, I like the concept a lot

I like the guy's expression in panel 2 "What the? This isn't what I ordered!" I really like it, it's very straightforward to me.

knewshound said:
Better?

You guys owe me if you steal it !

Cheers,

knewshound

Much better, and I might owe you, especially since half of my friends wouldn't know a good beer if it slapped them in the face, lets not even get into homebrews. :p

Remember the topic of Homebrewtalk t-shirt? I would argue this would be my choice, Have HBT on top and have that on a shirt, it would awesome. Good work man, i love it!

eviltwinofjoni said:
I like the guy's expression in panel 2 "What the? This isn't what I ordered!" I really like it, it's very straightforward to me.

Looks more like he drank some green homebrew last night and can't believe he's ripping a 10-second fart.

Cheesefood said:
Looks more like he drank some green homebrew last night and can't believe he's ripping a 10-second fart.

....that explains the past few days:drunk:

I heard the brewmeister from one of the BMCs on the radio during a local morning show and he said that no matter who the producer of the beer is, his, sierra, home brew, it did not matter, the proper way to pour was straight into the glass causing foam. In doing this he said it released the Co2 and more of the flavor of the beer would be released, or be perceptable rather, due to the fact that you were getting the true flavor and not the sting that one can get from Co2.

Is this true?

Sorry to, Hijack it seemed like the right place to pose this ?

Reverend JC said:
I heard the brewmeister from one of the BMCs on the radio during a local morning show and he said that no matter who the producer of the beer is, his, sierra, home brew, it did not matter, the proper way to pour was straight into the glass causing foam. In doing this he said it released the Co2 and more of the flavor of the beer would be released, or be perceptable rather, due to the fact that you were getting the true flavor and not the sting that one can get from Co2.

Is this true?

My roomate said the same thing once.

Then I heard he got it from a Bud Select commercial and I disregarded it altogether.

How about just pour the the damn beer and drink it!Angles,quarter inch,sit overnight,sediment,blah,blah,blah.Sorry,i just can't get behind it.Step one:Open bottle Step two:pour and drink and enjoy!Works for me;) .cheers:mug: .

Reverend JC said:

Is this true?

My thought is that this technique (described and illustrated wonderfully, BTW) is for bottled beers (homebrew in particular) where yeast or other sediment is present and such sediment is not desired in the glass.

There is debate on whether or not this matters. Even with Weiss beers. I have heard that many use this technique but then I also hear stories about rolling the bottle around on the table to mix the yeast and doing a full pour.

Commmercial beers and micros that filter should be poured down he center to create a full bodied head.

This is akin to letting a wine breathe.

As this is knewshound's beer, he is the expert on how his beer is to be served so I don't think it warrants a debate. I just thought I'd outline what I think to be the issues. I'm of the when in Rome camp.

Again knewshound, great illo. It really shows your love for your beer.

Reverend JC said:

Is this true?

I was told the same thing at Beer School (Sea World) by one of the AB minions. He also said that it is better to release the extra CO2 in the glass, rather than from the...(he let us fill in the blank). :D

Reverend JC said:

In the case of BMCs, what flavor?

I am not a BJCP but I figured they must have some standard for pouring at competition. Apparently I was wrong...

I just went and searched their forums and came up with only a couple threads about pouring and only one about pouring technique.

The comments seem to be either method is acceptable, 45 degree angle or straight down the middle.

Beer Advocate recommends the 45 degree angle method http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/pour.php

I personally usually pour straight down the middle. I just pour slowly if the head is excessive.

I usually employ the 45 degree angle pour followed by the let it sit for about 5 minutes maneuver. I like it a little warmer and a little less fizzy.

Great Work! I agree this would be a great T-Shirt. Ranking up there with, "Beer. Helping white men dance since.." and so on...

I think most of us will owe you one! Maybe you should try marketing that at your LHBS. Pre-make some with a tag and put em on the shelf. I'd buy some pre made in a pack for a couple bucks.

drouillp said:
Great Work! I agree this would be a great T-Shirt. Ranking up there with, "Beer. Helping white men dance since.." and so on...

I think most of us will owe you one! Maybe you should try marketing that at your LHBS. Pre-make some with a tag and put em on the shelf. I'd buy some pre made in a pack for a couple bucks.

Or better yet, start sellin em straight from here :) I know I'd buy some.

Well, in all honesty, I simply took this pic and edited the hell out of it.

howtopourabeerji0.jpg

I can only dream of having skill enough to create it.

Cheers,

knewshound

Back