How to open these Kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodB

Reaction score
Hi

I was very kindly given these kegs. I have asked my equipment supplier to give me a list of all the equipment I need for filling and dispensing to and from these Kegs.

He asked me to remove the "Spear" so he can advise me correctly.

I understand that these kegs need a special spanner to remove the spear.

I have seen these are really expensive. Is there a way other than using this spanner to remove the valve and get to the spear.

Many thanks

Keg3.jpeg
Keg2.jpeg
Keg1.jpeg

The bottom one looks to be a standard Sanke which should have a retaining clip that looks like it is missing. you should be able to lift it up a little, and spin it by hand to get the "ears" through the slots. To use it you will have to buy some of the steel retaining clips to install. It is kind of hard to say on the other two, but the look like they screw in. What I have done for my euro-sanke kegs that are similar was to buy a bit of iron pipe at the big box store that had an outside diameter that fits inside the keg opening, and used an angle grinder to notch the pipe for the "ears", then I drilled all the way through and use another bit of bar or hefty screwdriver as a lever to loosen and tighten them.
I would make sure to de-pressurize them before opening. Anything that can depress the middle should do, or use the keg couplers that you would use to serve. Keep a rag around the whole thing or do so outdoors though(learned this the hard way..)

This is what I believe khannon was referring to:
414233-sankey-tool2-57901.jpg

You'll also need to find a way to depress the valve (so it's open & stays open) while you turn the spear out with the above tool.
I made one that depresses the valve and then "locks" in place using the same "ears". Just a washer, with the "ears" cut out, a bolt and a couple of nuts to set the depth needed to depress it.
414232-sankey-tool-57900.jpg

cant recall exactly off the top of my head, but you can use a 1" or maybe 1-1/4 inch pvc female thread adapter to do the same thing. match it to the keg spear tabs, notch the cuts into the rim, then glue it to a small piece of pvc, cap it all with a tee, and you can put anything long enough through the tee to make handles. (broomstick, long screwdriver, long wrench, etc)

and whatever you do- for the love of dog- tap those kegs and empty all the pressure before you try anything

The comments above are spot on about releasing the pressure. To be safe, a pair of googles is recommended. Do the pressure relief outside because trying to control the release of any of the fluids is next to impossible.

i wouldnt say its impossible at all. just tap the keg next to a sink or a drain. if its been sitting a while and has overpressurized due to infection/referment then the hose might want to fly around a bit but nothing you cant solve by putting something with a little weight on it. pretty simple actually. even more so if you have a party/bronco tap as you wont need to lug a co2 tank around...

Back