How to monitor liquid transfer amounts in a 3-tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutaholic

Reaction score
I'm designing a three-tier brewing system and am trying to determine how to monitor both the amount of liquid drawn from the hot liquor tank and the amount of wort drawn from the mash tun. My understanding is that the typical method is to use a sight tube on the hot liquor tank to monitor water usage from that source.

Does anyone know of a better way of monitoring the amount of liquid transferred from one container to the next?

Thanks,
Shaun

The sight glass is the easiest way. There is one person here that made a floating sight glass using a brass float for a toilette. I'm thinking of doing something like that for my 55 gallon kettle.

You could pick up a flow meter that has cumulative readings, but that is going to be pricey.

1. Note the level on the sight glass in the HLT.
2. Subract desired fluid movement volume and open the valve until the liquid is at that new level.

I think a sight glass on a single tier system is a luxury while one on a 3 tier is pretty mandatory.

I'm designing a three-tier brewing system and am trying to determine how to monitor both the amount of liquid drawn from the hot liquor tank and the amount of wort drawn from the mash tun.

My primary indicator is a flow meter, backup is a sight glass.
I don't monitor the amount drawn from the mash tun.
The amount drawn from mash tun has to equal total water in less known losses.
The losses include grain absorption, hose losses, etc.
The total wort ending up in the brew kettle should be exactly the pre-boil. volume.

WaterFlowmeter001.jpg

You could pick up a flow meter that has cumulative readings, but that is going to be pricey.
The one in the picture only lasted through 3000 gal, temp sensitive.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back