How to measure tannins, acids, and sweeteners to potential wine recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavinCiampa

Reaction score
Just curious if there is a rule of thumb that people use that I can relate to potential recipes. The fact is that I have all these things yet I don't really know how they work or how to use them

I use 1 tsp nutrient, 1/2 tsp energizer, 1/2 tsp acid blend, 1/2 pectic enzyme, 1/4 tsp tannin for any fruit wine I haven't made before. I'll skip the acid blend for any highly acidic fruit. Make sure to monitor for signs of a sluggish fermentation, long lag time or excessive sulfur smell. Supplement nutrient and/or energizer if this happens. Taste after it clears and adjust acid and tannin if needed. Take notes so you know for next time.

The problem with "rules of thumb" is that every fruit is quite different in composition. You certainly wouldn't add acid to a cranberry wine, but you would need to add a lot more sugar than if you were making apple wine. Likewise, the amount of sulfites required is a strong function of pH. If you are looking for a starting place, you would want to search for recipes using the particular fruit or grape you wish to use.

Tannin is used for mouthfeel and color stabilization in red-fruit wines. Its use depends on the style of wine you plan to make.

The better option is to invest in a basic hydrometer and acid test kit to answer the question of how much sugar or acid is needed. As your winemaking proceeds, you may wish to add a pH meter, digital pocket scale, and a few plastic beakers to your lab set. Making the measurements of your specific must is really the only way to guarantee you know what you are working with and what adjustments are needed.

Back