How to measure mash temp (not talking about thermometers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn151864

Reaction score
I just completed my first batch of all grain beer (1 gallon kit) this past weekend. When I was mashing the grains I realized I was coming across an issue.

I heated the water up to 160, dropped the grains in and the temperature dropped which was fine. However, I was noticing a huge difference in temperature as time went on between near the bottom of the pot (I wouldn't have my thermometer touching the bottom, maybe a 1/2 inch from the bottom) and where a lot of the grains had floated to top. I'd be around 165ish below the grains but 140 where the grains were floating.

I would try to up the temperature of the water to get the grains to 145-155 but that would only skyrocket the temp below to 170+. This makes sense because I’m sure a lot of the heat is trapped below the grains.

Is this OK? How should I make sure I'm taking an accurate temperature of my grains? Should I only care about where the grains have floated to the top or should I take averages of near the bottom and near the top?

This is the mix I used; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-mixes/chestnut-brown-ale-mix

I always check temp after a good stir, so I guess I'm averaging the highs and lows.

Don't obsess over a degree or two.

Large batches hold heat better, smaller batches can be put in a warm oven to keep heat steady if your mashing in a pot BIAB.

With a bit of practice and experience, you should be able to measure your strike temp accurately, mash in and not need to check the temp again.

But we all do lol.

What's your mashing vessel? If it is just a stock pot, take it off heat and wrap it in a towel or something. Stir it good before hand to get temps even. It should stay pretty close throughout.

I just completed my first batch of all grain beer (1 gallon kit) this past weekend. When I was mashing the grains I realized I was coming across an issue.

I heated the water up to 160, dropped the grains in and the temperature dropped which was fine. However, I was noticing a huge difference in temperature as time went on between near the bottom of the pot (I wouldn't have my thermometer touching the bottom, maybe a 1/2 inch from the bottom) and where a lot of the grains had floated to top. I'd be around 165ish below the grains but 140 where the grains were floating.

I would try to up the temperature of the water to get the grains to 145-155 but that would only skyrocket the temp below to 170+. This makes sense because I’m sure a lot of the heat is trapped below the grains.

Is this OK? How should I make sure I'm taking an accurate temperature of my grains? Should I only care about where the grains have floated to the top or should I take averages of near the bottom and near the top?

This is the mix I used; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-mixes/chestnut-brown-ale-mix

Just stir the heck out of it, stir about 3 times as much as you think you need to (yes, that is an arbitrary number) and you will likely be well mixed. Now, any addition of heat will require another extensive stirring, and over time, temperature will drop a bit, so the center of the mash will be warmer than the outside.

If you get a good mix when doughing in, and you insulate the mash tun, your drop shouldn't be too extensive during the mash, so you shouldn't have to stir it that often.

Now if you are adding heat, obviously extensive stirring will be needed then as well.

Thanks! I'll be making another batch soon so I'll just make sure I stir the crap out of it, from time to time. I was only doing a couple stirs every 10 minutes.

I will stir stir stir and let sit for a couple of min before checking. If there is a few temperature degree difference in different spots in the mash tun I will average it for my mash temp. Nothing too scientific. I also always stir at the 30 min mark of my mash.

Back