How to make yeast autolysis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shopkins1994

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I am working on flavor profiles and I was wondering if anyone knew how to force yeast to autolysis? I know that it will slowly do it if left in the brew, but I want to make a few tablespoons of it.

Thanks,

Sam

Why? I would just put a few drops of soy sauce in a beer to get that profile, if you are looking for training.

If you want to make it, it is going to take a while. Maybe nuke some yeast, throw it in with live yeast and let the games begin?

I am guessing here but I think that would help speed up the process, however I have been on cold meds all day so take it all with a grain of two row. ;)

If you have access to some limited beers, you might be able to trade for a bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock from the 90's should be pure soy sauce-y by now.

Stress them to death. A culture with low nutrients, temperature swings, high pressure, overly high or low temperatures . All of these will cause the yeast to start offing themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would really like to know what you're attempting. ....really.

My Autolysis Thread

That's a pretty awesome thread Dynachrome. I'll have to try that with a few cider jugs I've got sitting around. What yeast did you use? I think it would be cool to do some sort of experiment to see if certain strains last longer than others (if it hasn't already been done).

That's a pretty awesome thread Dynachrome. I'll have to try that with a few cider jugs I've got sitting around. What yeast did you use? I think it would be cool to do some sort of experiment to see if certain strains last longer than others (if it hasn't already been done).

Thanks.

There were no temperature extremes or any pressure to speak of just starvation and time.

:ban:

Lol, just giving you a hard time!

I would probably have done the same thing.

Back