How to make beer from apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
Hi. I am a nob to brewing. I am planing to start making me own beer and wine. I need advice what i need to start brewing cider beer. Currently i don't have any thing. only willingness to scarifies me time to make some good beer.

Any advice on equipment and how to would be appreciated.:mug:

Hi. I am a nob to brewing. I am planing to start making me own beer and wine. I need advice what i need to start brewing cider beer. Currently i don't have any thing. only willingness to scarifies me time to make some good beer.

Any advice on equipment and how to would be appreciated.:mug:

you mean a "noob" right?

:cool:

You're, y'know... 21, right?

If so, go to a homebrew shop and ask to see their starter kit. It'll have everything you need. There's a whole subforum here devoted to cider- you can find a recipe there to make it with Treetop apple juice from the grocery store. Turns out pretty good.

I imagine you can make an apple flavored beer, I just bottled a watermelon flavored beer, used and American Wheat beer kit, then added the watermelon juice in a secondary. Don't see why it couldn't be done with apple juice. And last year I made about 3 gallons of apple cider, turned out pretty good.
As mentioned before there's a subforum here on wine and cider.

I love making cider. It's like making beer without all that boiling. Just grab some juice that doesn't have preservatives in it, toss in some yeast (I'm a fan of S-04) take a gravity reading or if no hydrometer wait it out like 3-4 weeks. Add some Splenda to sweeten to taste (God help you if you add cane sugar or any other natural sugar, you'll just start the fermentation process all over again) toss in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup real sugar (or about a 1/4 can of frozen apple concentrate per gallon) if you want bubbles, bottle and wait...

And wait

And wait

And wait...

I have made hard cider from Whole Foods fancy apple cider in 1 gallon jugs and decided to make some experiments due to cost. Each gallon of juice was about $8-$9, and I used champagne yeast. The flavor was very muted and I ended up using 1 can of concentrated apple juice per gallon to restore flavor at bottling (I wanted sweet, carbonated hard cider anyway). The wife and friends loved it.

So now I just bottled an experiment with all can concentrated apple juice and champagne yeast, and I have another batch of all can concentrated apple juice and safeale 04 yeast. So bottom line, i would plan on experimenting to find out exactly what you like.

Also it took forever for the first batches to carbonate up in the bottles. I have taken to pitching a little new yeast in the main carboy before bottling and now the carbing process is fast. Just adding the concentrate/sugar in the main carboy before bottling speed up the process.

I love making cider. It's like making beer without all that boiling. Just grab some juice that doesn't have preservatives in it, toss in some yeast (I'm a fan of S-04) take a gravity reading or if no hydrometer wait it out like 3-4 weeks. Add some Splenda to sweeten to taste (God help you if you add cane sugar or any other natural sugar, you'll just start the fermentation process all over again) toss in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup real sugar (or about a 1/4 can of frozen apple concentrate per gallon) if you want bubbles, bottle and wait...

And wait

And wait

And wait...

You can back sweeten with additional juice or sugar, you just have to treat the cider with Sorbistat K (Potassium Sorbate) and a little potassium metabisulfite....sometimes a bit of tartaric acid or acid blend helps to balance the sweetness if the cider is low in acid to begin with.

EDIT: You would do this AFTER fermentation is complete.

Also, technically you can't make beer from apples. You make cider from apples. Beer is malted cereal grains w/hops. And beer/cider blends are delicious.

And wait

And wait

And wait...
This. I've done it a few times and it makes great cider. I don't even backsweeten it because I like it dry.

And wait

And wait

And wait...

I read the many post already what the gravity reading? How does it affect the taste of the beer? is there any Thread that actually explain it? Because i am a fan of more sweet beer. I from what i understand to this point gravity affect that?

I read the many post already what the gravity reading? How does it affect the taste of the beer? is there any Thread that actually explain it? Because i am a fan of more sweet beer. I from what i understand to this point gravity affect that?

At this point stop thinking about apple beer or anything odd, and learn the basics of brewing. Read this http://howtobrew.com/intro.html....If you don't yet understand the basics, then you're doing yourself a disservice trying to come up with something strange or not the norm. To do what you want first requires some understanding of brewing AND even cider making.

Back