How to make a spirit-based hard seltzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeac2117

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am completely new to brewing and I have been trying to research how to use vodka as the alcohol source of my hard seltzer (similar to how High Noon does) instead of using yeast. I have seen a couple of things on the internet about blending water and vodka together until you reach the desired ABV, but I was wondering if someone could help me out and lay out a rough outline of how to make this drink. Also, when would I put flavoring into the drink? Thanks in advance!!!

At that point why not just buy seltzer water and add vodka to it in the glass?

This is pretty simple. You can carbonate it in a keg or once sufficiently diluted you could carbonate it by adding priming sugar and a little yeast to bottles. To make the beverage you just add the water, vodka and flavoring all at once. Most of the flavorings are not sugar based or have minimal sugar so there should not be any fermentation to worry about.

The easy way to figure out ABV is to convert the ABV of the vodka to a decimal (so 60% ABV = 0.6) and multiply the ABV decimal by the total volume of liquid. (Keep in mind most bottles list proof which is double the ABV. So a 120 proof vodka is 60% ABV.) The equation is ABV of vodka x (volume of vodka + volume of water).

For example 1 oz of 60% vodka plus 11 oz water gives you 12 oz of liquid. You calculate ABV as 0.6 x 12 oz = 0.05 or 5% ABV.

The easy way to figure out ABV is to convert the ABV of the vodka to a decimal (so 60% ABV = 0.6) and multiply the ABV decimal by the total volume of liquid. (Keep in mind most bottles list proof which is double the ABV. So a 120 proof vodka is 60% ABV.) The equation is ABV of vodka x (volume of vodka + volume of water).

For example 1 oz of 60% vodka plus 11 oz water gives you 12 oz of liquid. You calculate ABV as 0.6 x 12 oz = 0.05 or 5% ABV.

That happens to work for the example cited. Putting 2oz of spirit in with 11oz of water, however, should result in 9.2% ABV, and the above method gives 7.8%.

Actual calculation

Finished ABV = (ABV of spirit * VOL of spirit) / (VOL of spirit + VOL of water)

The numerator is the volume of pure alcohol, the denominator is the total volume of the mixture.

Ex:

Finished ABV= (0.60*1L)/(1L+11L) = 0.60/12 = 0.05

Ex 2:

Finished ABV = (0.60*2L)/(2L+11L) = 1.2/13 = .092

Probably a more useful equation is how much booze do you need to make a specified volume at a specified ABV...

Vol Spirit =(ABV desired * Vol desired) / ABV Spirit

Ex:

Vol Spirit = (0.05 * 5 gallons) / 0.60 = .42 gallons (or 1.6L)

Last edited:
I use this site when I make my grapefruit seltzer:
https://www.distilling-spirits.com/...lc_c_ist=40&alc_c_soll=5&alc_v_soll=20#result
My 5 gallon recipe is 1 bottle of SodaStream Pink Grapefruit Zero Calorie (14.8 Fl Oz), 1/4 a bottle of SodaStream Grapefruit Fruit Drops, and whatever amount of costco vodka you want to make it the ABV you desire. I find that over 5% ABV tends to make it bitter though. I then carb it at #20 for 2 weeks. It's still a bit on the sweet side for my taste but I like bone dry drinks. The ladies love it! It's low cal too :)

I think the easiest way to make this drink is as follows: Stop thinking about it by the marketing term "Hard Seltzer." If I understand this beverage correctly, it's a cocktail-in-a-can version of vodka and soda.

The above recipe isn't an authentic Hard Seltzer as it uses fresh fruit. To achieve proper authenticity, purchase the flavored seltzers of your choice at the grocery store, then mix per the linked recipe.

I don't do a seltzer, but I do 2 big bottles vodka, 3 gallons of water, and one and a half containers of country time lemonade mix. I have heard of others doing water, vodka, and just flavorings to have something like seltzer. I think brulosophy has one.

Back