How to lock my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
I'm dropping this one in the general discussion section since I'm hoping folks might have had similar issues with this in the past, it isn't SOLELY related to kegerators. That said, if the mods prefer to see it in the kegging forum, I understand.

THE SITUATION: I've recently set up my first kegerator, a standard apartment-sized "freezer over fridge" setup; I removed the floor of the freezer to make one large area and have it set up for multiple kegs. At the moment, and for the forseeable future, I'm going to be running cobra taps from the kegs, so no handles on the outside.

THE PROBLEM: My current housing situation is at odds with my current beer-making situation. We're living in a much smaller place, and will be doing so for at least another year. SO, the kegerator is on the back porch. This is pretty ideal since winter is in full swing here: it's cold but we don't get a lot of precipitation, so the compressor/heater won't have to work as hard as they would in my (warmer, but already packed full) garage. BUT, I worry about nosy neighbors finding the kegerator. If that happens, best case is I lose a bunch of beer, worst case is I lose my cylinder/regulator/all the kegs in the kegerator. I guess there's also a bit of a moral angle to it: keeping the sauce out of the hands of teenagers who tend to make bad decisions, and so on.

THE QUESTION: Anyone have any suggestions on how to lock this sucka up? Obviously, I could start drilling and mount hasps, but after all the work that's gone into this, I'd hate to hit a line. I've tried Gorilla Glue-ing the hasps to the fridge sides: this has failed initially. BUT, I didn't do a good job of roughing up the hasp backs, and that's where the adhesive bond failed every time, so I may try again with bigger hasps and really roughing them up with sandpaper or an abrasive wheel.

ETA: there aren't any handles on the doors; they just have these little detents in the sides of each door for you to grab with your fingers.

That said, I'd love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions!

:mug:

This certainly isn't elegant but what about a simple wire rope wrapped around and a pad lock? Would be good since you indicated this is temporary.

How about locking the bottom of the door to the nearest "foot"? Some cable and clamps, a simple bracket on the door and a padlock.

SORRY: further info is needed, I now realize. The doors on the fridge don't have any handles; they just have the little indents your supposed to stick your fingers into and pull to open.

I'll edit the OP to reflect this...

Hmmm... I GUESS I could put eye-bolts through the doors: no worries about drilling there. The eye bolts would keep the cable from being pulled up or down, much like the handles would have done if the fridge had them...

hmm.... you could always cover it with a like bbq grill cover? maybe some other form of cover / disguise?

I recommend a shotgun. You might have to shoot the first few that try to steal your beer but after the word gets around you'll be OK.

I recommend a shotgun. You might have to shoot the first few that try to steal your beer but after the word gets around you'll be OK.

Don't tempt me...

If you're just looking to "discourage" someone from getting into it, 3M makes some double sided tape that will create an unbelievably strong bond between metal, that would be the best route. I'd probably be more worried that someone would just wheel the whole fridge away.

If you're just looking to "discourage" someone from getting into it, 3M makes some double sided tape that will create an unbelievably strong bond between metal, that would be the best route. I'd probably be more worried that someone would just wheel the whole fridge away.

I'd found a two sided refrigerator lock on Amazon that was based on some of that stuff. I THINK that might be enough: "keep the honest people honest" as they say. They're pricey, though, and I'd need two; I also worry about getting them to adhere well in the freezing temps we have right now.

Wheeling off the fridge is something to consider as well... there's gravel running down both sides of the house so it wouldn't be easy... but...

Ugh. Trust me. If there was ANY space anywhere under the roof for this thing, it'd be there.

Too bad its not a chest freezer. Both of my chest freezers have built in locks.

Only thing that comes to my mind is as was said earlier...wire around fridge and a lock on the wire.

you could always frame up a box around it drill the bottom plates into your porch and use plywood for the siding.

If you're just looking to "discourage" someone from getting into it, 3M makes some double sided tape that will create an unbelievably strong bond between metal, that would be the best route.

That would be my attempt. Mcmaster-Carr sells it, and I can say from experience it works very well. On a clean, dry surface. :) (Don't get the foam stuff.)

I also worry about getting them to adhere well in the freezing temps we have right now.

And that might be an issue with the VHB tape. I suggest a hair dryer or a heat gun before applying.

Back