How to know if you should add Tannin, K-meta and other questions through process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe for 5 gallons of Strawberry wine so far:

22lbs clean stemmed strawberries- ( weight after stemmed )
1/4 tsp K-meta ( in place of Sodium Bisulfite )
5 - 1/4 tsp Pectic Enzyme

Throw in bucket add 1/2 a gallon of water. Cover and sit 24 hours.

Add water to Liqueur to make 5 gallons.
Add 12 lbs Sugar
Add 5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Add Red Star Red Pasteur Yeast

Adjust the sugar level with the aid of a hydrometer to produce the desired potential alcohol level (11% or S.G. of 1.086 recommended). Third: Use a titration kit to adjust your acid level to 0.60% tartaric.

Questions:
The water I use is clean well water that goes through an iron curtain and not the water softener- So I don't have to wait out the chlorine but do I have it rest for 24 hours because of the Pectic Enzyme? The recipe refers to this as " making the Liqueur "
Also I'm good with switching out the Sodium Bisulfite with k-meta right?

How do I know if I want to add Tannin, besides making a couple different batches and find out almost a year from now?

How do I know when to add more K-meta? I read in posts different ideas. Is it when I re-rack? Time?
I want to age it in a FULL Carboy, with a solid stopper- Do I put in 1/4 tsp when I put on the solid stopper? What about when I bottle it after that?

What about adding bentonite? Is it a good idea to just add it at some point or only if the wine doesn't clear?

What about de gassing? Shouldn't this be done?

Acid Blend I can use my test kit and taste little each time to maybe understand better what it tastes like at different levels if I need to add any.

I read this as well:
"You have to add both to stop and prevent fermentation. K-meta kills and the K-sorbate prevent the yeast from reproducing."
I thought k-meta removes free oxygen while k-Sorbate Inhibits yeast?-

I trying to use Potassium over Sodium

Thoughts?
:pipe:

Back