How to keg beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
So we made our keggles tonight. Found a link on here that shows how to get the ball valve off the top of a keg. We did that prior to grinding the top off the keg. So, I see how to get that ball valve off in order to fill the keg, but how do you get it back on? I popped off what looks like a very thin metal lock washer that looks a little like a spring. How in the world do you get that back on?

I think you have a couple concepts mixed up.

Keggles are the large brew pots made from kegs.

Most homebrewers keg their beer in stainless steel 5 gallon soda (corny) kegs.

I have never heard of someone removing the center post and fill a large sanke keg in order to put beer in it, from what I understand, that requires a special connection.

I'm sure it's been done before, but it's not common.

No no, I understand that. What I meant is that upon making the keggles tonight I realized how a keg goes together (by dissecting them).

So now, once we acquire our cornies and fill them, how do you put the tops back on them?

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the help!

I'm still confused, but I'm tired.

Corny kegs have a large lid on top that you just seal back on with a lever and O ring.

Maybe you need to post a pic. Someone will help, sorry I'm not figuring it out.

Ah, that must be it. I assumed a corny keg was just a smaller keg with the same fittings on top. Guess they must be different.

very different. Cornies have 2 ball lock or pin lock connections, and a big hole in the middle. Easy to clean and assemble. Sanke require a different coupler (more expensive) and harder to take apart and put back together. Will still work for kegging. I have 2 sanke and 2 cornies but I may switch to all cornies cause they are easier.

Back