How to keep diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping4Hops

Reaction score
I know the opposite has been discussed a lot, what I'm interested in though is keeping the diacetyl flavor in my ale as part of the flavor. I've been thinking of brewing some dessert themed beers and some of them have an apparent butter flavor to them. I though of using wy1318 which is a heavy producer. How can I stop it from cleaning up after itself in the bottle conditioning, and to what extent I can control exactly the amount I want?

I know the opposite has been discussed a lot, what I'm interested in though is keeping the diacetyl flavor in my ale as part of the flavor. I've been thinking of brewing some dessert themed beers and some of them have an apparent butter flavor to them. I though of using wy1318 which is a heavy producer. How can I stop it from cleaning up after itself in the bottle conditioning, and to what extent I can control exactly the amount I want?
Should be pretty easy to keep. Once fermentation is done don't raise the temp for the diacetyl rest and get the beer off the yeast as soon as you can. The lower the temp the slower the yeast will clean up the diacetyl as well.

You could probably control it by keeping it on the yeast a tasting it every 12 hrs or so maybe even in shorter intervals depending on temp. One you have what you like, remove the yeast and cold crash.

As for keeping the flavor in the bottle, if you do the above the flavour should stay. Diacetyl is one of those off flavors that need yeast to clean up, once the yeast is gone it's pretty hard to impossible to get rid of.

I would like to carbonate the beer naturally in the bottles. Won't the yeast that will be there for this purpose clean up the dacetyl afterwards?

Use 1968/002 and carbonate with dextrose. It will produce diacetyl almost every time if you prime with sugar and don’t add more yeast. Can’t tell you exactly why, but it does.

ferment at 66 and don’t up the temp.

Good luck..... I guess

It could be difficult to control it in a reproducible way. As I have understood, this is why brewers tend to get rid of diacetyl. Plus the fact that the flavor threshold for diacetyl is so variable among individuals. So it will be easy to overdo it, especially for those sensitive individuals. But choosing a strain that produces some diacetyl could be a way to start. Wlp005 would be a good candidate if you want to taste the diacetyl..but you were warned.

Not sure the answer to your question is in this thread but there is a lot of info on different British yeasts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...emps-and-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts.221817/

The two yeasts I got diacetyl from were wyeast 1099 and wyeast 2000-pc budvar lager, but not in nice way. Only used them once each as I try to avoid diacetyl.

I think you need to look for yeast that tend to want to floc early and maybe play with temp to encourage a early stop in fermentation.

Back