How to keep debris from clogging keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustyraker

Reaction score
I brew alot of hefeweizens and the out fitting on my keg gets clogged often from hop debris and causes a very foamy pour. If I take the fitting apart and clean it I'm good for about 10 good pours and then back to being clogged.

You can buy (or make if you're good) a floating draw which draws beer from the top of the beer in the keg, instead of drawing from the dip tube at the bottom of the keg.

How are you getting that much hop debris in your keg from brewing Hefeweizen?

My suggestion would be to bag your hops in the boil and be more careful not to transfer sediment into the fermenter and into the keg.

^that^ was my thought as well. I've done a more than a few weizens over the years and hop debris was never a problem mostly because there aren't a lot of hops in weizens and especially there are no dry hops in that style.

Anyway...to keep hop debris out of my kegs I cold-crash then rack with a square of nylon hop bag material rubber-banded around my cane. Very effective, I've never, ever had a clogged post/poppet/diptube....

CO2_push_rigs.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
You could also bend the dip tube up off the floor of the keg a little bit to keep it from picking up all the debris at the bottom.

In addition to eliminating to much Hop debris in your fermenters shorten your dip tube by about an inch and install SS screens on the ends

As already mentioned, keep the debris out of the keg. I bag my hops, allow time in primary for the debris to settle, siphon carefully and get very little debris in the kegs or bottling bucket/bottles.

As others have mentioned. You just need to leave all the hops/ sediment behind in the fermentor. Are you cold crashing prior to transfering. My coworker doesn't have any way to crash and he eventually gave up brewing as he was always getting so much sediment/hops it would regularly plug the fitting.

Similar solution and about the same price is a cask widge. I use them in my corny fermenters to keep the crud out of the poppet.

FYI, I went cask widge over clear beer drought system solely because I occasionally ferment in Sanke kegs and the clear beer won't fit. Looks like a great product for cornys

Back