How to incorporate koji rice into beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giannie

Reaction score
I want to make a sake-beer hybrid, in an Imperial IPA style.

It's called Chiba Byakko Daiginjo, a 7.5gal boil for a 5gal brew. It's cyberpunk themed.

Grain bill:
American 2-Row Malt (4 lbs.) 1.8L
Munich Malt (2 lbs.) 6L
Koji Rice (4 lbs.) ?L
Cinchona bark (Quinine) (X lbs.)
Guarana berries ( lbs.)
Sakura petals (X oz.)

Hop bill
: amounts undecided yet
Cascade
Centennial
Saaz
Hallertau

Yeast: Sake yeast #1801

Water profile:
Ca 2+: 50 ppm
Alkalinity: 28?
SO4 -2: 200 ppm
Cl -1: 50 ppm
RA: ?

I'm relying on the koji to be the driving fermenting force.

I have never tried to add the sake to the beer fermentation process but this thread here has lots of discussion on koji, sake etc.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...nal-rice-wine-cheap-fun-and-different.361095/

I have some simple sake going now and the yeast balls do create a layer of mold on top of the rice, I don't know if they would with your above recipe and/or how that would affect the overall beverage you are trying to make with the sake-specific yeast but someone around here must have tried something similar I'd imagine.

Minor correction gentlemen, I just tasted an Imperial IPA for the first time and it tasted terrible. I'm going to stick to just an IPA.

I'm looking at doing something similar. I know Five Boroughs Brewing in Brooklyn, NY did a collab with a new Sake place to make a koji lager but not sure how they did it. Wondering if you ever made this and if it turned out?

Latest posts

Back