How to improve mouthfeel prior to bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanInSydney

I don’t know what the f*ck I’m doing...
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first time brewing (and posting)!

I used a Morgan’s Australian Bitter Wort extract/yeast pack and added 1kg enhancer to the mix, as per the instructions.

I’ve left it for 2 weeks, which is much longer than the 5 days recommended on the can so I could get to a stable final gravity. Fermentation has now finished and tastes fine but the mouthfeel is very thin - almost like water!

I’ll condition in the bottle using carbonation drops, which I guess will change the texture profile, but is there anything else I can do before bottling to improve my chances of getting a beer with good mouthfeel?

E.g. would racking help at all? Can I add a thickener, such as maltodextein? Or even just leave it alone in the fermenting vessel a little longer?!

Thanks all! Dan

Since this is your first attempt, I'd suggest not to add anything, just follow the recipe (although good call on allowing for complete fermentation!). Flat, warm beer is not generally indicative of the same beer when it's carbonated and cold. You simply can't judge it in its current state.

Also, after beer is finished fermenting, it needs to condition before its flavors reveal themselves. After carbonating in the bottles, store for at least a week in the cold to begin that process before drinking. I know, I know... patience is a b*+ch. It's a useful trait in brewing, though!

BTW, "enhancer" is not technically a thing in brewing. I wonder what it actually is?

Carbonation will actually add mouthfeel and a wide variety of flavors/perceptions. As other suggested, just roll with this one, and once you know what the end product is like, consider tinkering at this step in future batches if/when you know it could be improved.

Bottle and let carb. I have a heferweizen that tasted like water down whatever. After 1 week carbonating it has taken on a clove taste with a hint of banana. It had the heferweizen texture in my mouth. For me it feels like soft water. Hard to explain. However, it is by all indications a heferweizen in taste and feel.

As another stated, patience. Let the beer do it's thing in the bottle.

Since this is your first attempt, I'd suggest not to add anything, just follow the recipe (although good call on allowing for complete fermentation!). Flat, warm beer is not generally indicative of the same beer when it's carbonated and cold. You simply can't judge it in its current state.

Also, after beer is finished fermenting, it needs to condition before its flavors reveal themselves. After carbonating in the bottles, store for at least a week in the cold to begin that process before drinking. I know, I know... patience is a b*+ch. It's a useful trait in brewing, though!

BTW, "enhancer" is not technically a thing in brewing. I wonder what it actually is?

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like I’m on the right track.

The enhancer was basically a mix of dextrose, maltodextrin and something else - I don’t have my notes to hand atm...

After doing a bit of reading I get that adding ‘enhancer’ to the mix can result in a higher final gravity - is this because some of it is unfermentable?

Let it roll like it is.

What it tastes like in the fermenter is not what it will taste like after a few weeks in the bottle.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back