How to hop a split boil???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyherrick

Reaction score
I have a 5.5 gal. pot and a 2.5 gal. pot. How do I do my hop additions. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Just add them to each pot in proportion...roughly 2/3 into the big pot and 1/3 into the small pot. Not all that critical IMO. Just divvy em up.

Yep, what he said! Divide your boil roughly equally in runnings, so they are about the same. What I mean by that is don't put all your first runnings in one pot and the second runnings in the second, but put about 1/3 of the first runnings in the smaller pot and 2/3 in the first. Then do the same with the second runnings (and third, if you're doing two batch sparges). That way, the wort is roughly equal in OG and about the same % of each runnings. Then divide your hops the same way- 1/3 in one, 2/3 in the other.

A good guestimate is good enough.

Extract or grain? If it's extract I wouldn't bother using both unless I was making a very high-end IIPA and didn't want to dilute the IBUs.

Your suggestions are what I was originally thinking. Thanks. This will be for an all grain batch. I also have heard of people just hopping one pot, but this makes more sense. Hope it turns out.

I will definitely keep that in mind. My previous all grain boil was in converted keg, and it didnt go as smoothly as I hoped. That's why I am looking into alternatives. Thanks.

Back