how to get wax out of guinness glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
a buddy brought me a guinness glass back from ireland that was designed as a candle that when burned down and out gave you a nice glass. i've burned the candle down but can't figure out how to get all the wax off the glass. the picture isn't great but it gives you an idea. any ideas are greatly appreciated.

http://img842.imageshack.us/i/img00312201102232220.jpg/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061126172914AAm10t5

If you're talking about a glass candle holder,put it in a warm oven for five minutes,then wipe it out with a paper towel.The paper towel then makes an excellent fire starter.If you mean a large glass surface like a table top,use a warm paper towel-dampen it and microwave it for a minute-and a dry cloth to hold thepaper towel.the heat will melt the wax and the paper will absorb it.

Only ways I can think of would involve applying heat to the glass, to get the wax to flow... You could try placing it into hot water, I just don't know how the logo will hold up to high temps. You'll need the water hot enough to get the wax to turn fluid again... I would think that with enough water, and a little effort on your part, you could get the wax to lift out of the glass.

You could, also, try using a small butane torch to melt the wax. Again, not sure how well the logo will stand up to any high temps... You could, easily, ruin the glass... I know those glasses are usually hand wash only, so no dishwasher level temps...

Get a pot of hot water and set the glass in it until the candle wax melts, then pour it in the trash (or into an empty can or something).

Before doing the hot water etc., put the glass in the freezer for a while. The wax will harden and most of it should easily pop off with a light scrape. THEN try some hot soapy water

Before doing the hot water etc., put the glass in the freezer for a while. The wax will harden and most of it should easily pop off with a light scrape. THEN try some hot soapy water

with maybe a little thermal conditioning in between - or bye-bye glass!

put some water in a pot and the inside of the glass heat them both up the wax will liquify and now you have a good drinkin glass

Back