how to get tube off of 3 piece airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
So the last 2 brews I ended up breaking my airlock trying to get the blowoff tube. It's like it's glued on, I cant budge the thing.

Is there a trick? Just leave it on?

I had the same thing happen to me. I was going to leave it dedicated, but later on decided to cut the tube off. I trimmed it as close as I could get with the scissors, then I took an xacto knife and slowly split the hose left on the airlock till it came off. But I would for sure try the hot water thing first. I have since then upgraded to a dedicated 1 inch blowoff and bucket lid.

hot water loosens the tubes up quite a bit. Run it under the faucet for a minute with the heat on high and try pulling and twisting it off. If that doesn't work you can try soaking it in oxy clean/ hot water bath for a couple hrs and it should slide right off.

I have one that's stuck on as well and I was thinking of just leaving it on, but it really should come apart to be cleaned properly. Soak it in some warm water with PBW. I'm sure it will come right apart.

Every time I go to the LHBS I buy 4 they're $1.15 I usually end up destroying them when I try to take them off. I like all my stuff completely sanitized. Wouldn't want to ruin a batch by infection by not spending the extra buck.

+1 to hot water. The tubes get nice and pliable when they're hot. They'll loosen ok their own a bit, enough for water to get in there to dissolve and break up the krausen glue.

Heat the tube and the airlock in warm water. Push the tube further onto the airlock and will slip right off. It sometimes works when dry too. The water helps.

I had the same thing happen to me. I was going to leave it dedicated, but later on decided to cut the tube off. I trimmed it as close as I could get with the scissors, then I took an xacto knife and slowly split the hose left on the airlock till it came off. But I would for sure try the hot water thing first. I have since then upgraded to a dedicated 1 inch blowoff and bucket lid.

What do you mean by dedicated lid? Did you drill it out or something?

GenIke said:
What do you mean by dedicated lid? Did you drill it out or something?

Yep.... My LHBS will drill out the lid for a bung I think it's an 1-1/4 or 9/16 for the airlock

Heat the tube and the airlock in warm water. Push the tube further onto the airlock and will slip right off. It sometimes works when dry too. The water helps.

This is a good idea. Push, then pull. I was just yanking on the SOB. Never say die! Lol:mug:

Yes the same stopper you use in a carboy... One lid I have has a really loose fit for the standard airlock, so I went in to buy another and most of the lids were the same ??? bad grommets or something. We got one without the hole and drilled out for the bung. Tried it both ways worked fine..... now I rarely use it I have 4 carboys now, Here's a pic it's the front bucket (don't laugh at the towels I have a pool and about 30 towels you'd be suprised how many people forget em we they come over to swim)

image-2080227167.jpg

Back