How to get rid of/kill yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
I've been making ginger beer and been having some problems with carbonation after fermentation. I have to back sweeten it, and I'm trying to use only cane sugar. At first I just went straight to fermentation to bottling, and after it was carbonated I would put the bottles in the fridge to try to kill the yeast off. This did not work. I then invested in a force carbonation kit, and used a 1 micron filter to filter the yeast out. (I was using S-04 dry ale yeast) This also did not work, I bottled a few after carbonating in the keg and one of the bottles exploded a few days later. Anyone know how to fully kill or remove yeast without pasteurization? (I don't want any alcohol to escape)

Pasteurize only needs to go to 150°. Alcohol will not boil off until 170s (I think). Plus, if you are pasteurizing sealed bottles, any lost alcohol will return to solution.

Chilling only causes yeasts to hibernate. You can chill, then dose it with k-meta then back-sweeten. Then force carb.

You need to add potassium sorbate, then wait a day and back sweeten. PS stops yeast reproducing and fermenting. You can them force carbonate without fear that it will restart in the bottles

Back