How to get more sprouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thooper41

Reaction score
i have 9 different style of hops growing this year and some only have one shoot coming up. my question is how can i encourge another shoot to come up on the ones that only have one growing? i ask this because in the book home brewers garden it says to cut back all but 2.

You rarely have to cut back the first year, in fact, it's a bad idea since the plants aren't very strong. If you only have one bine, then that's what you go with. Don't be surprised though if more shoots come up in a couple weeks.

My Sunbeam is on its second year and only put out three bines.

X2

The upward growth is far less important than the downward growth the first year. You also can't expect nine varieties to grow the same as each has it's own rooting, growing, and flowering characteristics.

Don't cut it back the first year. The plant will need as many leaves as it get grow in order to stimulate the roots. If this is not a first year plant, then you will likely get more than one bine eventually. Feel lucky the cut worms have not been doign the cutting for you! 8(

Figured this was an opportune time to ask this question...

I planted 6 varieties this year and they have just broken ground. I should NOT trim or cut back at all? Just water and let 'em grow this year? I keep thinking maybe one might produce the first year but don't want to get my hopes up.

I'm letting mine all go without trimming. I have a Willamette and Cascade plant that each have over 10 bines now. Between the 10 rhisomes I planted, I originally put 44 hooks in the eaves of my garage to run twine for all of the bines. I'm now having to go back and add more hooks inbetween because of all the bines. Small cones are starting to appear on the larger plants. If everything goes well, I should have plenty of hops even in the first year.

Back