how to get more chocolate flavor out of my stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboyrsl

Reaction score
Ok so I've been doing my research and I'm trying to find the best way to get a solid amount of chocolate flavor in my stout. I have heard using cocoa powder or chocolate extract but what and when is the best time add the chocolate. I want chocolate flavor like the ones you get from rogue chocolate stout, speedway stout, and yeti.

I use fat free cocoa powder in the last 15 minutes or so of the boil. If you use chocolate extract, you can add it to taste at bottling if you want.

I use fat free cocoa powder in the last 15 minutes or so of the boil. If you use chocolate extract, you can add it to taste at bottling if you want.

Using both is the way to go. IMO the extract/essence stuff is mostly for aroma. The powder is for flavor.

Using pale chocolate malt in the recipe will probably help reinforce the flavor too. I have a brown ale that is very chocolaty but there is no chocolate in the recipe. Just chocolate and pale chocolate malts.

I use a slightly modified version of Rogue's recipe. I changed it due to what I had on hand at the time. I also went with 8oz cocoa powder in the boil as opposed to using an extract in the secondary as I tend not to like extracts...

I did it last year for the first time and found it lacked a 'chocolate' flavor.

This year I did it and added 8oz lactose (non-fermentable sugar) in the boil. Well, at bottling, it wasn't sweet enough so, I added another 8oz and bottled it up. I let them set for about a week before touching them and they turned out fantastic! Without the sugar component, your cocoa is just cocoa, not chocolate...

Here is the recipe I used, taken from the stickies in my garage... ;)

11# two-row
.5# crystal malt
.5# chocolate malt
.5# caramel malt
.5# oats
I followed their hops and mash schedule.
I added 8oz lactose at the last 20 minutes of the boil.
I added 8oz cocoa powder at the last 20 minutes of the boil.

When I transferred to primary, I did so through a strainer, which is a PITA to be honest, the powder clogs it up something fierce.

When I transferred to secondary, I used glycerin to aid in clearing the beer. Truth be told, I'm not sure how much this step really matters as it is a stout. They're supposed to be thick and black. I was actually a little disappointed that I could 'almost' see through mine... :) Next time, I'm going to just primary and leave alone.

At bottling, I added 3/4 priming sugar and another 8oz of lactose.

There is a significant difference in taste between dutched and non-dutched cocoa power. The dutched is much better. You also need to add a little vanilla because that's part of the chocolate flavor your looking for.

jiggs_casey said:
I use a slightly modified version of Rogue's recipe. I changed it due to what I had on hand at the time. I also went with 8oz cocoa powder in the boil as opposed to using an extract in the secondary as I tend not to like extracts...

I did it last year for the first time and found it lacked a 'chocolate' flavor.

This year I did it and added 8oz lactose (non-fermentable sugar) in the boil. Well, at bottling, it wasn't sweet enough so, I added another 8oz and bottled it up. I let them set for about a week before touching them and they turned out fantastic! Without the sugar component, your cocoa is just cocoa, not chocolate...

Here is the recipe I used, taken from the stickies in my garage... ;)

11# two-row
.5# crystal malt
.5# chocolate malt
.5# caramel malt
.5# oats
I followed their hops and mash schedule.
I added 8oz lactose at the last 20 minutes of the boil.
I added 8oz cocoa powder at the last 20 minutes of the boil.

When I transferred to primary, I did so through a strainer, which is a PITA to be honest, the powder clogs it up something fierce.

When I transferred to secondary, I used glycerin to aid in clearing the beer. Truth be told, I'm not sure how much this step really matters as it is a stout. They're supposed to be thick and black. I was actually a little disappointed that I could 'almost' see through mine... :) Next time, I'm going to just primary and leave alone.

At bottling, I added 3/4 priming sugar and another 8oz of lactose.

When did you add the lactose in the boil

i've brewed two big chocolate stouts in the last year or so with over 9%abv each. #1 had 8 oz of hershey cocoa poweder added @ 15 minutes and #2 had 6 oz of godiva cocoa poweder added @ 15 minutes. I think the addition time@ 15 mins is ok, you just have to be aware of your recipe and be aware the roast level and IBU level will affect the chocolate perception. I would suggest pulling some wort from your kettle to mix with the cocoa in a container before adding it to the boil to avoid clumps. The cocoa leaves a lot of trub if you take it to the primary. On #1, I took it to a primary carboy, let it settle all night and transfered to a fresh primary, leaving the cocoa trub before pitching the yeast. I pitched #2 right away and ended up with almost an inch of cocoa colored trub, but it didn't appear to affect the yeast as I still go excellent attenuation on #2 (both were pitched with a 2L starter of WLP001/1056 on a stirplate)

#1 was maybe just a tad too much chocolate flavor for the beer IMHO, however it was more of a less roasty, Souther Tier Choklat style, with more chocolate and carafa special for dark malts.

#2 used roasted malt in addition to chocolate and pale choclate malt with significantly more IBU's that helped to cover the chocolate (think RIS'ish). I think #2 would be an excellent RIS with little less attenuating yeast and sans the chocolate.

Just take a look at what type of stout you are going for -the higher the OG, IBU and roast level, the more chocolate you can add without being ovewhelming.

Lactose can also be added later in the process, right up to bottling. So, you could add some to the boil, then add more to taste to fine tune it later.

Brewed the following 3 weeks ago. Tasted gravity check last weekend. Chocolate was up front & prominent but not in your face overpowering. Anxiously awaiting for this batch to be ready. Chocolate is very dark Belgian chocolate powder my SIL brought back from her trip to Belgium.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.78 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.88 %
10.2 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM) Grain 6.72 %
10.1 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 6.62 %
30.00 gm Yakima Goldings [5.90 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
1.00 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
7.00 oz Chocolate (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs US-04 (Safale) Yeast-Ale

Back