how to get extract into glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

timgman

Reaction score
How on god's green earth am I SUPPOSED to (as opposed to the mess I just made) get my extract / wort into my glass carboy?
thanks
po'd
timg
\
\
ps if my wife saw the mess I just made I'd have alot more brew-time on my hands...hehehe

videoman

Reaction score
Well, I have two different sized carboys, and two different sized funnels. Cost not much more than $5-7 bucks at your LHBS, or online stores like Norther Brewer, Midwest or Austin Homebrew. When I was doing 2 gal extracts I lift my brewpot and slowly pour in the funnel. Topped off with water the same way. Worked for me.

Hey, I've got a fiero... I'll trade for beer.

OP
timgman

timgman

Reaction score
I need a much LARGER funnel evidently... how large is yours?:
thanks....
Just got the wort off my hard wood floors... the wife will never know... until by fate shew finds this thread.. after I'm dead if 60 years...
hehehe
timg

SteveM

Reaction score
I have a real low tech funnel that works great. Take a two liter soda bottle, cut it off just below the shoulder, sanitize, and bingo, you are done. Saves a trip to the dollar store even. It fits perfectly into the mouth of a carboy and the opening is big enough that even fruit sludge will pass through easily.

OP
timgman

timgman

Reaction score
I have a real low tech funnel that works great. Take a two liter soda bottle, cut it off just below the shoulder, sanitize, and bingo, you are done. Saves a trip to the dollar store even. It fits perfectly into the mouth of a carboy and the opening is big enough that even fruit sludge will pass through easily.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
I wish I asked this BEFORE I made this batch....
Geesh I had it righ in front of me the whole time....
MAN -o -MAN

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
SCORE!!!!!!!

Great idea!

janzik

Reaction score
Who's using a funnel to move wort from your brew pot to a carboy?! :confused:

An autosiphon will do the trick. You will be happy you got one, or two...

elkdog

Reaction score
Well, that is kinda personal, but in the interest of helping, I will show you how how big mine is.

It is 12 inches and fits perfectly into the carboy neck.

Get it here for $7.25
+1 for the "expensive" funnel. These come with (or maybe you have to pay an extra buck for) a mesh screen that keeps a lot of your cold break, hops, etc. out of the fermentor, which is kind of nice. Also, they're big, and the long spout keeps the thing anchored in the carboy/bb, making it a lot easier to transfer the beer without an assistant.

OP
timgman

timgman

Reaction score
Well, I have two different sized carboys, and two different sized funnels. Cost not much more than $5-7 bucks at your LHBS, or online stores like Norther Brewer, Midwest or Austin Homebrew. When I was doing 2 gal extracts I lift my brewpot and slowly pour in the funnel. Topped off with water the same way. Worked for me.

Hey, I've got a fiero... I'll trade for beer.
I have a vette now but I've had 10 fieros ...they rule...:fro::tank::confused:

vfinch

Reaction score
+1 for the "expensive" funnel. These come with (or maybe you have to pay an extra buck for) a mesh screen that keeps a lot of your cold break, hops, etc. out of the fermentor, which is kind of nice. Also, they're big, and the long spout keeps the thing anchored in the carboy/bb, making it a lot easier to transfer the beer without an assistant.
I picked up a stainless canning funnel from farm/tool supplier for about $7. It's similar to the picture below and it came with a stainless screen that goes between the two halves. Works great and it is very stable on the neck of the carboy; it also gives great aeration to the wort going in the carboy.

fratermus

Reaction score
It fits perfectly into the mouth of a carboy and the opening is big enough that even fruit sludge will pass through easily.
Also works great with powders (like pouring dextrose into jugs when making Apfelwein).

edit --> and use the bottom part as a single-bottle-soaker to soak labels off.

RangerG

Reaction score
My wife never holds the funnel right. She lets it make a seal instead of tipping it a little, then some hot wort blurches up and scares her - every time.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
My wife never holds the funnel right. She lets it make a seal instead of tipping it a little, then some hot wort blurches up and scares her - every time.
Please tell me you're only pouring hot (less than 100 degree) wort into cold water that's already in your carboy. I've had a carboy bottom fall out on me from thermal shock and it was sitting in 2" of 130 degree water.