HOW to get coffee flavor in light color beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I'm drinking a coffee ale that has a very pronounced coffee taste, but ZERO coffee color. My friend wants to attempt a clone of it, and I (like a fool) assured him that I would have no problem putting something together that would come close to what he wanted. Have I delivered? OF COURSE NOT!

Do you know any techniques on how to accomplish my goal? I've read a little bit about coffee distillate, but I can't find as much information as I'd like. As always, thanks.

To keep the light color you might want to look into coffee extract.

4 oz of course ground coffee directly into the secondary for 5 to 7 days will give you lots of coffee flavor with little to no change in color. Do a search for golden stouts or blonde stouts and you will see lots of examples.

Several coffee blondes or blonde stouts done by breweries in the NW.
I made a pale ale with tons of coffee flavor and aroma with no change in color by adding whole Columbian Supremo beans to the fermentor after fermentation had stopped. I used 2.5oz/gallon and it came out great. I wouldn't heavily hop the beer to avoid clashing bitter or hoppy flavor with the coffee flavor and aroma. You might even want the beer to finish a little sweet with mid 150's mash temp.

I'm drinking a coffee ale that has a very pronounced coffee taste, but ZERO coffee color. My friend wants to attempt a clone of it, and I (like a fool) assured him that I would have no problem putting something together that would come close to what he wanted. Have I delivered? OF COURSE NOT!

Do you know any techniques on how to accomplish my goal? I've read a little bit about coffee distillate, but I can't find as much information as I'd like. As always, thanks.

I make a coffe kolch on a regular basis. Wifes favorite. If you PM me I would be happy to share the full recipe with you and answer any questions you may have. For the coffee flavor with no color i use 3 oz of "whole" beans for 3 to 4 days in secondairy. Make sure to put beans in hop bag as some will float and some will sink so guaranteed to plug up during transfer. Lots of coffee aroma and flavor no color.

Back