How to Force Carbonate Keg and then store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bahrc

Reaction score
I'm brewing for a wedding and have 4 commercial kegs that I need to carb up to be ready for the event. The problem is I don't have a fridge to hold that much finished beer. Can I untap the commercial keg I'm putting the beer in after fully carbed and place it in the basement (64 degrees) until a few days before the event? I would then place them back on gas a few days prior to the event so they have time to chill back down. Will they be flat or have flavor changes?

I'm brewing for a wedding and have 4 commercial kegs that I need to carb up to be ready for the event. The problem is I don't have a fridge to hold that much finished beer. Can I untap the commercial keg I'm putting the beer in after fully carbed and place it in the basement (64 degrees) until a few days before the event? I would then place them back on gas a few days prior to the event so they have time to chill back down. Will they be flat or have flavor changes?

yes, I do this all the time with my kegs (corny, but the same idea). You carb it at low temperature to your desired level of carbonation, then seal it and can take it out, warm it up, it will condition faster, which could be good, depending on the beer, then you can cool it and unless you have a leak, it should be at the same level of carbonation once temperature is equilibrated.

Make sure you have as little headspace as possible (this will mean equilibration will be reached sooner since very little CO2 has to exit the beer into headspace). And I wouldn't store it at >75F, but 64F is fine.

Back