How to fix your Corney!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I am having a problem with a leaky keg. It is leaking from the base of the post when under pessure and the poppet doesn't reset after it has been depressed. How can I fix it?

Liquid or gas side? If you can remove the poppet, try a fresh one. You can also try changing the dip tube o-ring as well as the other o-rings on that post. I had one that leaked and changing the o-ring under the dip tube resolved the issue.

Take off the QD post and check the flared rim of the dip tube. It's possible to distort it during assembly. When you tighten the post if you meet any resistance before it is bottomed out stop, take it apart and make sure the poppet is seated in the QD. If you do damage the flare you can use needle nose pliers and bend back into shape.

Liquid or gas side? If you can remove the poppet, try a fresh one. You can also try changing the dip tube o-ring as well as the other o-rings on that post. I had one that leaked and changing the o-ring under the dip tube resolved the issue.

I second this. I had a keg that was leaking - not a lot of liquid was being lost, but just enough to cover the floor of the keezer each morning. I replaced the o ring on the liquid out side and also put a new O ring on the liquid dip tube (the original was worn very thing). A little keg lube later and everything was fine.

I second this. I had a keg that was leaking - not a lot of liquid was being lost, but just enough to cover the floor of the keezer each morning. I replaced the o ring on the liquid out side and also put a new O ring on the liquid dip tube (the original was worn very thing). A little keg lube later and everything was fine.

There's a thread about alternative o-rings that can be used (lower cost than dedicated ones) from McMaster-Carr. I've started changing over all the o-rings on the outside of the posts to the silicone (red) ones. The black ones, it seems, degrade pretty fast and start to stick and leave crud inside the QD's. The red ones function MUCH better, and are so bloody cheap it's not even funny. :D

There's a thread about alternative o-rings that can be used (lower cost than dedicated ones) from McMaster-Carr. I've started changing over all the o-rings on the outside of the posts to the silicone (red) ones. The black ones, it seems, degrade pretty fast and start to stick and leave crud inside the QD's. The red ones function MUCH better, and are so bloody cheap it's not even funny. :D

Yep, and a price break at 100 which gives me replacements as they wear the only ones that I don't have in silicone is the lid and poppets but I am working on that (rebuilt a few poppets with silicone seal and new stainless springs, will see how they hold up)

Back