How to figure out where my bucket is leaking CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed 4 days ago. It was a 4 gal batch that I put into a 6.5 gallon bucket with an S shaped airlock. I used a fresh starter that behaved normally. If I press on the top of the bucket, the water level in the airlock moves. But I haven't seen any airlock activity. I'm 99% sure the beer is fermenting as I almost pass out from the CO2 in my chest freezer fermentation chamber when I open it. I plan to open it in a day or so to dry hop and I can check the gravity then. So I'm assuming the bucket is leaking somewhere, but I don't know where. Should I just replace the entire lid? The o ring around the airlock? Something else? Should I not worry about it? I figure it's not a big deal during the first few days of fermentation, but after I open and dry hop, I assume I want a good, airtight seal.

Does it really matter? My buckets leak CO2 and the airlock is rarely active but I don't worry about it. What really matters is that no nasties get inside.

Starsan in a spray bottle, start spraying. It will bubble at the leak points during active fermentation. Once fermentation is over you don't have the CO2 pressure to build bubbles.

I'm willing to bet it's leaking somewhere around the hole.

Yep. There's a hole or a crack somewhere and that'll be right around where the leak is. I'll bet my hat on it.

ya, the ole soapy sponge trick should work. Dab it around where you think the leak could be coming from and look for bubbles that popup.

Latest posts

Back